PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help removing grub from ubuntu live "cd"

k0sm0
February 6th, 2011, 04:52 AM
So here's the thing, I installed ubuntu from a usb, it installed ubuntu good, but i had some problems with drivers ATI and I tought that maybe was because of the usb, so I've decided to wait to get my dvd-burner back, because I have an original cd of ubuntu 10.04 and I was going to use it, so I uninstalled ubuntu from windows 7 (... I just deleted the partition for ubuntu) now I'm having problems at the boot because the grub still there, for the moment I don't have dvd-burner and because of that I can't repair windows 7

What I can do maybe: Install ubuntu again from the usb, that should fix the grub giving me the ability of select OS but, there is nothing that I can do in ubuntu to uninstall the grub?

sorry for the engrish and thanks for any help :p:p

steveneddy
February 6th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Boot into Windows if possible and open a command line.

Type into the console:

fix mbr

presence1960
February 6th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Boot the ubuntu Live USB and choose try ubuntu. When the desktop loads open a terminal and run
sudo apt-get install liloIgnore warnings and proceed. this will install lilo to Live Session.

next in terminal run
sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbrThis will put a generic windows boot loader on MBR and reset it to boot windows. Reboot without Ubuntu Live USB and you should boot right to windows.

k0sm0
February 6th, 2011, 05:15 AM
ermmm, i can't join windows thats the main problem, thanks anyways, trying your method presence1960 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=657448).

k0sm0
February 6th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Thanks a lot it worked, now im gonna install 10.04 I didn't had problems with drivers with that version and I was able to update it. Anyways thanks again!