PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Netbook or Desktop

Biciclettapc
February 5th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Just got my AW M11x and I am following a thread on installation issues and work around.

My question is should I install the desktop version or the Netbook version?

Not sure the best location to post, if incorrect please move accordingly

Wanting to run gimp, open office, wine to access MS office (use for school) and possibly install photoshop for raw work gimp cant handle.

Paul

zvacet
February 5th, 2011, 07:06 PM
According to this (http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook) it will be better to install UNR.You should try Open office instead of MS office and for installing Photoshop you will need to research how to install it.

Biciclettapc
February 5th, 2011, 07:18 PM
According to this (http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook) it will be better to install UNR.You should try Open office instead of MS office and for installing Photoshop you will need to research how to install it.

Sorry bit of a noob. UNR? :confused:

I have both iso images burned and plan on live demoing both.

I do run open office and have for many years, but back in school and I have to use certain functions of MS office to submit work.

I tried initially in OO but spent more time trying to get what the classes required in OO then the quickness of MS with the task. (most of it is pretty stuff that is not useful in the real world) But you gotta do what you gotta do!

I shutter when I say this but MS office 2010 works pretty well :shock:

PS will be installed on the windows side. Wanting to start using Gimp on the Ubu side.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 5th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I have found the desktop version works well on my 10.1 inch netbook.

ugm6hr
February 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I have found the desktop version works well on my 10.1 inch netbook.

I second this.
I personally find the netbook interface limiting if you are intending to use it for genuine computing.

Biciclettapc
February 5th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks! Soon to be installing