PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] AVI video freeze, sound fine...

tdsherman325
February 5th, 2011, 07:04 AM
When playing avi videos, the video will occaisionally freeze for about 30 seconds or so. The audio continues to play. The player program also seems to partially lock up; if I hit the spacebar to pause or the fullscreen key the action does not occur until the video begins playing again. Pressing the forward/backward keys (left right arrows in gnome-mplayer) still works. I've tried every video player I can find and the problem is consistent no matter which one I use. Fullscreen or windowed makes no difference. When the freeze is over, the video snaps to the correct postion in sync with the audio.

I am using ubuntu 10.04.1 desktop i386 and have an nVidia GeForce 6100. I'm using the proprietary drivers.

markymark64
April 25th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I'm having this same problem. I found a temporary workaround but it's a pain in the ****. Basically, you want to turn off you visual effects when you're watching any dvds or video files. Right-click on the desktop and change desktop background then click on the visual effects tab. Select none and your videos and dvd's should play fine. Mine is usually set to normal but my videos and dvd's freeze even in this mode. If I switch to none for the visual effects then any vids or dvd's I play will run with no freezing. Try it. This is not a solution just a workaround. Ubuntu must know about this. I hope they fix this problem in the upcoming release of Ubuntu 11.