PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help installing Ubuntu!

dailyoperation
February 5th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Hey guys, I've got an HP Mini 210, which had the standard Windows 7/HP Quickstart build on it. I really want to install the new Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but I need to create a USB boot disk. I am on a Mac, and have followed all of the instructions on this page http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download
Yet I cannot seem to boot from the USB key. I currently have installed Jolicloud and I have used the Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10, both which were installed from a USB boot key. For some reason I cannot get this to boot. I've changed the BIOS and tried to simple just boot from the USB but I get an error, which is too fast to read.

Maybe I am not doing something right in creating the boot disk, is there a program I can use or does it need to be via the command line. I have also tried different USB keys too. Sorry if this is a bit long and confusing, I've been trying to find what I'm doing wrong for the last few hours. I can't exactly remember how I did it last time. If there are any common issues or if anyone has had similar issues it would be great to know. I'll keep looking at it for now.
Thanks heaps, cheers.

dailyoperation
February 5th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Okay, so I got a better glimpse at the 'error' and it says something about PSW failed and the next line is about a parent device not detected.

dailyoperation
February 5th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Just a quick update and it seems like a few people have had the issue, so it seems to be a problem with creating the boot USB on a Mac. I converted the .iso file into .img and followed the instructions on the page I linked to before. Is there a way that other people have got this working? I don't have access to a Windows machine either, only this Mac.
I also don't have a USB CD/DVD drive so using a live CD is not an option.. It would be nice to get this working somehow