PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank screen installation problem on 8440p

crniroko
February 4th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu as a second OS on my HP 8440p (VQ665EA, M620 processor, Nvidia 3100m graphics), but am having problems with the installation. I'm currently running Windows 7 32 bit as primary OS.
The thing is, after booting up, I see a couple of linux lines, then a screen only showing two icons on the bottom of the screen (right one a man inside a border), and afterwards the screen just goes blank (illuminated, meaning active). I see that the computer is doing something, as the cd drive is pretty busy (trying to install from cd), and the wlan lights as well as some other start being blue, instead of being orange as on the startup of the machine.

I have tried both 10.04 and 10.10 versions, got the same result.
I saw that some people had issues with graphics on their 8440p's, but I am even unable to type any command, as it's constantly blank.

Could somebody give me a hint?
Thanks, regards.

Hrvoje

wojox
February 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM
When you get to the screen with the two icons at the bottom, press enter and choose your language.

Then you should see the screen for Try It or Install It.

You need to press F6 and arrow down to "nomodeset" and press the space bar to mark it and then the Esc key.

Then hit enter.

crniroko
February 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM
WOrks like a charm, thanks the most.

Hrvoje