PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing to a USB hard drive partition

pakas
February 4th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 to a partition on an external hard drive. On my first attempt, I used a Ubuntu live USB stick and used the GUI installer to install to a 250GB ext4 partition on my hard drive. I restarted... and met the grub rescue prompt.

The first time I tried to install, I clicked the skip button after the installer got hung up on "Copying file 2 of 6" for about a half hour. So I decided to try another install without hitting the skip button.

I booted my laptop again using the live USB stick and tried another install to the same partition. This time, the installer did not get stuck on "Copying file 2 of 6." I rebooted, and it worked!

About an hour later, I returned, turned on my laptop, and got grub rescue. I stuck in the live USB stick and tried to find out what the problem was. It looked like my external hard drive was mounted as sdc (partition sdc5) when I installed, but was now mounted as sdb. I don't know if this is why Ubuntu failed to boot the second time.

At this point I gave up for the day and used a Windows recovery disk to fix the boot sector.

This is my first attempt at an Ubuntu install and I feel like I am doing something terribly wrong. Any advice?

oldfred
February 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the forums.

It must have mount the install flash drive as sdb and the external as sdc. Then you unplugged the flash drive and the external became sdb.
It still should have booted as it works off of UUIDs not drives.

But I had the same issue and thought it was because I had a large gap in drive order. I installed from one flash sde to another sdf. Then when I rebooted sdf became sde. (I have 3 drives, but no sdd).

I just used e on the grub menu and and changed the hd5 to hd4 and it worked. Then sudo update-grub fixed it.

Sometimes you just have to reinstall grub2. Did you install grub to the USB drive or let it install to your internal drive.

You should be able to install grub2 to the external and in BIOS set external to boot first. If not found then it defaults to the internal.

#Comments are anything after the #, enter commands in terminal session
#Install MBR from LiveCD, Ubuntu install on sdb5 and want grub2 in drive sda's MBR:
#Find linux partition, change sdb5 if not correct:
sudo fdisk -l
#confirm that linux is sdb5
sudo mount /dev/sdb5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sdb
#If that returns any errors run:
sudo grub-install --recheck --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sdb
# After rebooting into working system
sudo update-grub

pakas
February 4th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the help.

It must have mount the install flash drive as sdb and the external as sdc. Then you unplugged the flash drive and the external became sdb.
It still should have booted as it works off of UUIDs not drives.
Ok, that was what I suspected.

I just used e on the grub menu and and changed the hd5 to hd4 and it worked. Then sudo update-grub fixed it.

Sorry, I am a Linux noob. What does 'e' do in grub? Also, how do I know which hdX is my external hard drive?

Sometimes you just have to reinstall grub2. Did you install grub to the USB drive or let it install to your internal drive.

I used the advanced partition selector in the Ubuntu installer and selected my external hard drive as the grub location, but when I disconnected the external drive and tried to boot (hoping to get to Windows) I still got grub rescue, so I think grub may have been written to the internal drive somehow.

You should be able to install grub2 to the external and in BIOS set external to boot first. If not found then it defaults to the internal.

I already set the BIOS to boot from external devices first.

#Comments are anything after the #, enter commands in terminal session
#Install MBR from LiveCD, Ubuntu install on sdb5 and want grub2 in drive sda's MBR:
#Find linux partition, change sdb5 if not correct:
sudo fdisk -l
#confirm that linux is sdb5
sudo mount /dev/sdb5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sdb
#If that returns any errors run:
sudo grub-install --recheck --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sdb
# After rebooting into working system
sudo update-grub
I forgot to mention that I already tried this. The first time it worked in that I managed to get to the grub boost menu rather than grub rescue, but after I selected Ubuntu, it failed to boot. The screen turned black and my computer kept humming. After about 15 minutes, I gave up and powered off my computer. The next time I booted, I got grub rescue again. I tried booting from the live USB stick and running those commands again, but it did not work.

Also, I never actually managed to boot Ubuntu. (My memory failed me while I was writing my last post.) The farthest I got was the grub boot menu, as I mentioned above.

oldfred
February 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
that often is a video issue. I had the same with my nVidia card.

How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
I had to do this with my Nvidia 9600GT:
boot from the cd, press F6 and then select the nomodeset option.
then
On first boot after install, press e on getting the GRUB bootloader.
Hold shift from BIOS boot to get menu if only one system installed.
Using arrow keys navigate to and delete quiet and splash and type the word nomodeset in their place
Press Ctrl and X to boot (low graphics mode)

After I installed Nvidia driver (default from pop up) then it has worked without issue.
gksudo nvidia-settings
Or it should be in System>administration>Hardware drivers.
Possible additional things to run once nvidia working:
gksudo nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig

pakas
February 4th, 2011, 08:16 PM
How do I set nomodeset? I hit F6 and tried running "install nomodeset" from the boot menu, but it said "could not find image 'install.'"

oldfred
February 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM
From the liveCd you should get a menu from f6 that lets you choose nomodeset as a boot parameter. Link in my previous post shows screen you should see (older verison but essentially the same).

If you are at grub menu then you press e for edit and on linux line replace splash quiet with nomodeset.

pakas
February 4th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I am using a live USB, and I do not see that screen. Instead, I see a black background with Ubuntu written across the top in white. There are a series of options on this screen. I can't remember the exact wording of the options, but they are pretty much the same ones shown in that thread. There are no function button shortcuts on the screen. Instead, there is a Boot Options item that takes you to a command line like thing in which the function buttons take you to different help pages. The F6 button brings up a help page about general boot options. Nomodeset is not listed anywhere within the help text. There is a prompt that says "boot:" and the help text had something like "boot: install nopaic" so I mimicked that and entered "install nomodeset." I got the response "could not find image 'install.'"and then it booted into live Ubuntu.

oldfred
February 4th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I have not used Cd for 2 or 3 versions, as i use USB now. Someone else may know exact details.

When you did it, did you copy it exactly. Silly computers want things just a certain way.
boot: install nomodeset

pakas
February 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I'm also beginning to think that I'm choosing the wrong location for the boot loader.

Which of the following would be the right location?

/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0 Linux device-mapper (striped) (128.0 GB)
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume01 Windows Vista (loader)
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume02 Windows 7 (loader)
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume03
/dev/sdc WD My Passport 071A (1.0 TB) <-- USB hard drive
/dev/sdc1 <--- Probably not this one: ntfs USB hard drive partition
/dev/sdc5 <-- ext4 USB hard drive partition
/dev/sda <-- Internal drive

I've been using /dev/sdc WD My Passport.

C.S.Cameron
February 5th, 2011, 03:25 AM
If sdc is the drive you are installing to, the external hdd, then the bootloader should go on root sdc, not sdc1, sdc2, etc.

Here is a step by step that generally works, adjust partition size to suit, The FAT32 partition is if you intend to plug into a Windows computer to transfer data:

Following step by step for Full install of 10.10 to USB device, adjust partition size to suit, sizes given are minimum:

Turn off and unplug the computer. (See note at bottom)
Remove the side from the case.
Unplug the power cable from the hard drive.
Plug the computer back in.
Insert the flash drive.
Insert the Live CD.
Start the computer, the CD should boot.
Select language
Select install Ubuntu.
Select Download updates while installing and Select Install this third-party software.
Forward
At "Allocate drive space" select "Specify partitions manually (advanced)".
Forward
Confirm Device is correct.
Select "New Partition Table" click Continue on the drop down.
Click "Free space" and "Add".
Select "Primary".
Make "New partition size..." about 1GB.
Location = Beginning.
"Use as:" = "NTFS file system"
And "Mount point" = windows.
Select "OK"
Click "free space" and then "Add".
Select "Primary", "New partition size ..." = 3 to 4 GB, Beginning, Ext4, and Mount point = "/" then OK.
(Optional)
Select "Primary", "New partition size ..." = 1 to 2 GB, Beginning, Ext2, and Mount point = "/home" then OK.
(Optional)
Select "Primary", "New partition size ..." = remaining space, (1 to 2 GB), Beginning and "Use as" = "swap area" then OK.
(Importent)
Confirm "Device for boot loader installation" points to the USB drive. Default should be ok if HDD was unplugged.
Click "Install Now".
Select your location.
Forward.
Select Keyboard layout.
Forward.
Insert your name, username, password, computer name and select if you want to log in automatically or require a password.
Selecting "Encrypt my home folder" is a good option if you are woried about loosing your USB drive.
Select forward.
Wait until install is complete.
Turn off computer and plug in the HDD.
Stick the side panel back on.

Note:
You may omit disabling the hard drive if after partitioning you choose to install grub to the root of the usb drive you are installing Ubuntu to, (ie sdb not sdb1). Be cautious, many people have overwritten the HDD MBR.
At boot you will then be given the option to boot your computer's hard drive, even when booting another computer.

oldfred
February 5th, 2011, 03:33 AM
You did not mention you have RAID or LVM.

Post this so we can see what is where:

Boot Info Script courtesy of forum member meierfra
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Paste results.txt, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the post's menu and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.

SeventhStreetAce
February 5th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 to a partition on an external hard drive. On my first attempt, I used a Ubuntu live USB stick and used the GUI installer to install to a 250GB ext4 partition on my hard drive. I restarted... and met the grub rescue prompt.

The first time I tried to install, I clicked the skip button after the installer got hung up on "Copying file 2 of 6" for about a half hour. So I decided to try another install without hitting the skip button.

I booted my laptop again using the live USB stick and tried another install to the same partition. This time, the installer did not get stuck on "Copying file 2 of 6." I rebooted, and it worked!

About an hour later, I returned, turned on my laptop, and got grub rescue. I stuck in the live USB stick and tried to find out what the problem was. It looked like my external hard drive was mounted as sdc (partition sdc5) when I installed, but was now mounted as sdb. I don't know if this is why Ubuntu failed to boot the second time.

At this point I gave up for the day and used a Windows recovery disk to fix the boot sector.

This is my first attempt at an Ubuntu install and I feel like I am doing something terribly wrong. Any advice?

I am having the same issues......

pakas
February 5th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Turn off and unplug the computer. (See note at bottom)
Remove the side from the case.
Unplug the power cable from the hard drive.
Plug the computer back in.

This isn't really an option as I'm installing to a laptop, not a desktop.

You may omit disabling the hard drive if after partitioning you choose to install grub to the root of the usb drive you are installing Ubuntu to, (ie sdb not sdb1).

This is what I have been trying so far. I'm glad to know I was doing at least one thing right. :P

At "Allocate drive space" select "Specify partitions manually (advanced)".
Forward
Confirm Device is correct.
Select "New Partition Table" click Continue on the drop down.
Click "Free space" and "Add".
Select "Primary".
Make "New partition size..." about 1GB.
Location = Beginning.
"Use as:" = "NTFS file system"
And "Mount point" = windows.
Select "OK"
Select "Primary", "New partition size ..." = 3 to 4 GB, Beginning, Ext4, and Mount point = "/" then OK.
(Optional)
Select "Primary", "New partition size ..." = 1 to 2 GB, Beginning, Ext2, and Mount point = "/home" then OK.
(Optional)
Select "Primary", "New partition size ..." = remaining space, (1 to 2 GB), Beginning and "Use as" = "swap area" then OK.
(Importent)
Confirm "Device for boot loader installation" points to the USB drive. Default should be ok if HDD was unplugged.
So far I have just been creating one ext4 partition. I will try this method.

pakas
February 5th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Boot information:

Boot Info Script 0.55 dated February 15th, 2010

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda
=> Syslinux is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb
=> Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdd and looks on the same drive in
partition #5 for (,msdos5)/boot/grub.
=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0

sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system:
Boot sector type: Unknown
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:
mount: unknown filesystem type ''

sda2: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system:
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:

sda3: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system:
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:

sdb1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs:

sdd1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs:

sdd2: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: Extended Partition
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:

sdd5: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 10.10
Boot files/dirs: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sdd6: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: swap
Boot sector info:

isw_djhegfibgd_Volume01: __________________________________________________ _______________________

Operating System:
Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr /boot/bcd

isw_djhegfibgd_Volume02: __________________________________________________ _______________________

Operating System:
Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

isw_djhegfibgd_Volume03: __________________________________________________ _______________________

Operating System: Windows 7
Boot files/dirs: /NST/menu.lst /Windows/System32/winload.exe

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sda: 64.0 GB, 64023257088 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7783 cylinders, total 125045424 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sda1 2,048 27,262,975 27,260,928 27 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 * 27,262,976 27,467,775 204,800 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 27,467,776 250,079,231 222,611,456 7 HPFS/NTFS

/dev/sda3 ends after the last sector of /dev/sda

Drive: sdb ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sdb: 8011 MB, 8011087872 bytes
32 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7761 cylinders, total 15646656 sectors

/dev/sdb1 * 63 15,646,175 15,646,113 b W95 FAT32

Drive: sdd ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sdd: 1000.2 GB, 1000175828992 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121597 cylinders, total 1953468416 sectors

/dev/sdd1 * 2,048 1,464,424,816 1,464,422,769 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdd2 1,464,426,494 1,953,466,367 489,039,874 5 Extended
/dev/sdd5 1,464,426,496 1,933,567,999 469,141,504 83 Linux
/dev/sdd6 1,933,570,048 1,953,466,367 19,896,320 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Drive: isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0 ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0: 128.0 GB, 128041877504 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 15566 cylinders, total 250081792 sectors

/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume01 2,048 27,262,975 27,260,928 27 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume02 * 27,262,976 27,467,775 204,800 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume03 27,467,776 250,079,231 222,611,456 7 HPFS/NTFS

blkid -c /dev/null: __________________________________________________ __________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume01 66FA6E21FA6DEE2D ntfs Recovery
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume02 C6F6B340F6B32F93 ntfs System Reserved
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume03 1C08B42308B3F9BA ntfs
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0: PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda isw_raid_member
/dev/sdb1 1CD9-434D vfat PENDRIVE
/dev/sdb: PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sdc isw_raid_member
/dev/sdd1 825883A258839417 ntfs MyPassport
/dev/sdd2: PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sdd5 95a7154e-571c-4c1e-9e3b-54fad541a752 ext4
/dev/sdd6 2f048813-3336-4686-8d44-28e5eacfc84d swap
/dev/sdd: PTTYPE="dos"
error: /dev/sda1: No such file or directory
error: /dev/sda2: No such file or directory
error: /dev/sda3: No such file or directory

=============================== "ls -R /dev/mapper/" output: ===============================
/dev/mapper:
control
isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0
isw_djhegfibgd_Volume01
isw_djhegfibgd_Volume02
isw_djhegfibgd_Volume03

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev output: ===========================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

aufs / aufs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 /cdrom vfat (ro,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437, iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/sdd5 /media/95a7154e-571c-4c1e-9e3b-54fad541a752 ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)
/dev/sdd1 /media/MyPassport fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)

=========================== sdd5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}

function load_video {
insmod vbe
insmod vga
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd3,msdos5)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 95a7154e-571c-4c1e-9e3b-54fad541a752
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=640x480
load_video
insmod gfxterm
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd3,msdos5)'
set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
set lang=en
insmod gettext
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-25-generic-pae' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd3,msdos5)'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-25-generic-pae root=UUID=95a7154e-571c-4c1e-9e3b-54fad541a752 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-25-generic-pae
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-25-generic-pae (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd3,msdos5)'
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.35-25-generic-pae ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-25-generic-pae root=UUID=95a7154e-571c-4c1e-9e3b-54fad541a752 ro single
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd3,msdos5)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
}
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd3,msdos5)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume01)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 66fa6e21fa6dee2d
chainloader +1
}
menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume02)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0,msdos2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set c6f6b340f6b32f93
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

=============================== sdd5/etc/fstab: ===============================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sdd5 during installation
UUID=95a7154e-571c-4c1e-9e3b-54fad541a752 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sdd6 during installation
UUID=2f048813-3336-4686-8d44-28e5eacfc84d none swap sw 0 0

=================== sdd5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ===================

840.1GB: boot/grub/core.img
960.4GB: boot/grub/grub.cfg
750.6GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-25-generic-pae
840.1GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-25-generic-pae
750.6GB: initrd.img
840.1GB: vmlinuz

==================== isw_djhegfibgd_Volume03/NST/menu.lst: ====================

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/

default 0 #Pick the task to be run if the user doesn't pick one within the time limit.
timeout 10 #Give the user 10 seconds to choose a task.

title Ubuntu
root (hd3,5) #Load Ubuntu from the 2nd harddrive's 3rd partition.
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-25-generic-pae root=/dev/sdb5 nomodeset
=========================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc =======================

Unknown BootLoader on sda1

Unknown BootLoader on sda2

Unknown BootLoader on sda3

Unknown BootLoader on sdb1

00000000 eb 58 90 53 59 53 4c 49 4e 55 58 00 02 20 20 00 |.X.SYSLINUX.. .|
00000010 02 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00 3f 00 20 00 3f 00 00 00 |........?. .?...|
00000020 a1 bd ee 00 eb 0e 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 |................|
00000030 01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
00000040 00 00 29 4d 43 d9 1c 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 |..)MC.. |
00000050 20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20 20 20 fa fc 31 c9 8e d1 | FAT32 ..1...|
00000060 bc 76 7b 52 06 57 8e c1 b1 26 bf 78 7b f3 a5 8e |.v{R.W...&.x{...|
00000070 d9 bb 78 00 0f b4 37 0f a0 56 20 d2 78 1b 31 c0 |..x...7..V .x.1.|
00000080 b1 06 89 3f 89 47 02 f3 64 a5 8a 0e 18 7c 88 4d |...?.G..d....|.M|
00000090 bc 50 50 50 50 cd 13 eb 4b f6 45 b4 7f 75 25 38 |.PPPP...K.E..u%8|
000000a0 4d b8 74 20 66 3d 21 47 50 54 75 10 80 7d b8 ed |M.t f=!GPTu..}..|
000000b0 75 0a 66 ff 75 ec 66 ff 75 e8 eb 0f 51 51 66 ff |u.f.u.f.u...QQf.|
000000c0 75 bc eb 07 51 51 66 ff 36 1c 7c b4 08 cd 13 72 |u...QQf.6.|....r|
000000d0 13 20 e4 75 0f c1 ea 08 42 89 16 1a 7c 83 e1 3f |. .u....B...|..?|
000000e0 89 0e 18 7c fb bb aa 55 b4 41 8a 16 74 7b cd 13 |...|...U.A..t{..|
000000f0 72 10 81 fb 55 aa 75 0a f6 c1 01 74 05 c6 06 32 |r...U.u....t...2|
00000100 7d 00 66 b8 16 1e 00 00 66 ba 00 00 00 00 bb 00 |}.f.....f.......|
00000110 7e e8 10 00 66 81 3e 24 7e 34 be f5 72 75 76 ea |~...f.>$~4..ruv.|
00000120 38 7e 00 00 66 03 06 64 7b 66 13 16 68 7b b9 10 |8~..f..d{f..h{..|
00000130 00 eb 2b 66 52 66 50 06 53 6a 01 6a 10 89 e6 66 |..+fRfP.Sj.j...f|
00000140 60 b4 42 e8 7f 00 66 61 8d 64 10 72 01 c3 66 60 |`.B...fa.d.r..f`|
00000150 31 c0 e8 70 00 66 61 e2 da c6 06 32 7d 2b 66 60 |1..p.fa....2}+f`|
00000160 66 0f b7 36 18 7c 66 0f b7 3e 1a 7c 66 f7 f6 31 |f..6.|f..>.|f..1|
00000170 c9 87 ca 66 f7 f7 66 3d ff 03 00 00 77 17 c0 e4 |...f..f=....w...|
00000180 06 41 08 e1 88 c5 88 d6 b8 01 02 e8 37 00 66 61 |.A..........7.fa|
00000190 72 01 c3 e2 c9 31 f6 8e d6 bc 6c 7b 8e de 66 8f |r....1....l{..f.|
000001a0 06 78 00 be cc 7d e8 09 00 31 c0 cd 16 cd 19 f4 |.x...}...1......|
000001b0 eb fd 66 60 ac 20 c0 74 09 b4 0e bb 07 00 cd 10 |..f`. .t........|
000001c0 eb f2 66 61 c3 8a 16 74 7b cd 13 c3 42 6f 6f 74 |..fa...t{...Boot|
000001d0 20 65 72 72 6f 72 0d 0a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 | error..........|
000001e0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
000001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa |..............U.|

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

hexdump: /dev/sda1: No such file or directory
hexdump: /dev/sda2: No such file or directory
hexdump: /dev/sda3: No such file or directory

oldfred
February 5th, 2011, 08:04 PM
First you have a partition problem in sda and/or your LVM. I know nothing about LVMs.

Not sure how to repair that with your LVM.

With the LVM this is probably not the way to fix it.
sfdisk to fix extended beyond end -partition outside the disk!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1012825

It also looks like your 8GB flash drive gets mounted as sdb and then your external drive is mounted as sdc or sdd. Grub in the 1000GB drive wants to boot from sdd. UUID looks correct and hd3 should be sdd.

pakas
February 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I also know nothing about LVMs. Could you please explain?

On my latest Ubuntu Install attempt, I gave up the idea of preserving my NTFS partition and divided my external hard drive into a 997 GB ext4 partition mounted at / and a 3 GB swap partition. I don't see any traces of grub. The computer boots right to Windows every time.

Boot Info Script 0.55 dated February 15th, 2010

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda
=> Syslinux is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb
=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0

sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system:
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:

sda2: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system:
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:

sda3: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system:
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:

sdb1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: vfat
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs:

isw_djhegfibgd_Volume01: __________________________________________________ _______________________

Operating System:
Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr /boot/bcd

isw_djhegfibgd_Volume02: __________________________________________________ _______________________

Operating System:
Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

isw_djhegfibgd_Volume03: __________________________________________________ _______________________

Operating System: Windows 7
Boot files/dirs: /NST/menu.lst /Windows/System32/winload.exe

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sda: 64.0 GB, 64023257088 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7783 cylinders, total 125045424 sectors

/dev/sda1 2,048 27,262,975 27,260,928 27 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 * 27,262,976 27,467,775 204,800 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 27,467,776 250,079,231 222,611,456 7 HPFS/NTFS

Drive: sdb ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sdb: 8011 MB, 8011087872 bytes
32 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7761 cylinders, total 15646656 sectors

/dev/sdb1 * 63 15,646,175 15,646,113 b W95 FAT32

Drive: isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0 ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0: 128.0 GB, 128041877504 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 15566 cylinders, total 250081792 sectors

/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume01 2,048 27,262,975 27,260,928 27 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume02 * 27,262,976 27,467,775 204,800 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume03 27,467,776 250,079,231 222,611,456 7 HPFS/NTFS

blkid -c /dev/null: __________________________________________________ __________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume01 66FA6E21FA6DEE2D ntfs Recovery
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume02 C6F6B340F6B32F93 ntfs System Reserved
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume03 1C08B42308B3F9BA ntfs
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0: PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda isw_raid_member
/dev/sdb1 1CD9-434D vfat PENDRIVE
/dev/sdb: PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sdc isw_raid_member
error: /dev/sda1: No such file or directory
error: /dev/sda2: No such file or directory
error: /dev/sda3: No such file or directory

=============================== "ls -R /dev/mapper/" output: ===============================
/dev/mapper:
control
isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0
isw_djhegfibgd_Volume01
isw_djhegfibgd_Volume02
isw_djhegfibgd_Volume03

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev output: ===========================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

aufs / aufs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 /cdrom vfat (ro,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437, iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)

=========================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc =======================

Unknown BootLoader on sda1

Unknown BootLoader on sda2

Unknown BootLoader on sda3

Unknown BootLoader on sdb1

00000000 eb 58 90 53 59 53 4c 49 4e 55 58 00 02 20 20 00 |.X.SYSLINUX.. .|
00000010 02 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00 3f 00 20 00 3f 00 00 00 |........?. .?...|
00000020 a1 bd ee 00 eb 0e 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 |................|
00000030 01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
00000040 00 00 29 4d 43 d9 1c 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 |..)MC.. |
00000050 20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20 20 20 fa fc 31 c9 8e d1 | FAT32 ..1...|
00000060 bc 76 7b 52 06 57 8e c1 b1 26 bf 78 7b f3 a5 8e |.v{R.W...&.x{...|
00000070 d9 bb 78 00 0f b4 37 0f a0 56 20 d2 78 1b 31 c0 |..x...7..V .x.1.|
00000080 b1 06 89 3f 89 47 02 f3 64 a5 8a 0e 18 7c 88 4d |...?.G..d....|.M|
00000090 bc 50 50 50 50 cd 13 eb 4b f6 45 b4 7f 75 25 38 |.PPPP...K.E..u%8|
000000a0 4d b8 74 20 66 3d 21 47 50 54 75 10 80 7d b8 ed |M.t f=!GPTu..}..|
000000b0 75 0a 66 ff 75 ec 66 ff 75 e8 eb 0f 51 51 66 ff |u.f.u.f.u...QQf.|
000000c0 75 bc eb 07 51 51 66 ff 36 1c 7c b4 08 cd 13 72 |u...QQf.6.|....r|
000000d0 13 20 e4 75 0f c1 ea 08 42 89 16 1a 7c 83 e1 3f |. .u....B...|..?|
000000e0 89 0e 18 7c fb bb aa 55 b4 41 8a 16 74 7b cd 13 |...|...U.A..t{..|
000000f0 72 10 81 fb 55 aa 75 0a f6 c1 01 74 05 c6 06 32 |r...U.u....t...2|
00000100 7d 00 66 b8 16 1e 00 00 66 ba 00 00 00 00 bb 00 |}.f.....f.......|
00000110 7e e8 10 00 66 81 3e 24 7e 34 be f5 72 75 76 ea |~...f.>$~4..ruv.|
00000120 38 7e 00 00 66 03 06 64 7b 66 13 16 68 7b b9 10 |8~..f..d{f..h{..|
00000130 00 eb 2b 66 52 66 50 06 53 6a 01 6a 10 89 e6 66 |..+fRfP.Sj.j...f|
00000140 60 b4 42 e8 7f 00 66 61 8d 64 10 72 01 c3 66 60 |`.B...fa.d.r..f`|
00000150 31 c0 e8 70 00 66 61 e2 da c6 06 32 7d 2b 66 60 |1..p.fa....2}+f`|
00000160 66 0f b7 36 18 7c 66 0f b7 3e 1a 7c 66 f7 f6 31 |f..6.|f..>.|f..1|
00000170 c9 87 ca 66 f7 f7 66 3d ff 03 00 00 77 17 c0 e4 |...f..f=....w...|
00000180 06 41 08 e1 88 c5 88 d6 b8 01 02 e8 37 00 66 61 |.A..........7.fa|
00000190 72 01 c3 e2 c9 31 f6 8e d6 bc 6c 7b 8e de 66 8f |r....1....l{..f.|
000001a0 06 78 00 be cc 7d e8 09 00 31 c0 cd 16 cd 19 f4 |.x...}...1......|
000001b0 eb fd 66 60 ac 20 c0 74 09 b4 0e bb 07 00 cd 10 |..f`. .t........|
000001c0 eb f2 66 61 c3 8a 16 74 7b cd 13 c3 42 6f 6f 74 |..fa...t{...Boot|
000001d0 20 65 72 72 6f 72 0d 0a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 | error..........|
000001e0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
000001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa |..............U.|

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

oldfred
February 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Either you have RAID turned on in BIOS or LVM which is a logical partition manager. LVM gives you the flexibility to move partitions around easily and even across different drives, but it adds a level of complexity. RAID is often set in BIOS by some computers but need multiple drives to work well. Best for servers with hardware RAID, software RAID just adds complexity for slight speed gains.

this does not tell me what it is as I do not know either well.
/dev/mapper/isw_djhegfibgd_Volume0