PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 6.06 to 10.10 possible?

RMSjr
February 4th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I'll save the long-winded dissertation on my Linux foibles for another time; I have version 6.06 loaded on one of my machines...tried it out and then put it away. Decided to give Ubuntu another go the other day and downloaded 10.10. Is it possible to upgrade directly from the former to the latter or do I have to go through intermediate upgrades first? If it's possible, then do i just put the 10.10 disk in and reboot or is there something else I have to do?

Thank you in advance. :)

Rob.

Frogs Hair
February 4th, 2011, 06:36 PM
No , upgrades must be done in order and the releases needed in between are no longer supported .

Best to do a clean installation and check release notes and requirements if you have an older computer.

Welcome to the forums .

coffeecat
February 4th, 2011, 06:58 PM
In theory, since 6.06 was a LTS, it might be possible to go 6.06 > 8.04 > 10.04 > 10.10. But 6.06 needs to be fully updated before upgrading to 8.04 and you won't be able to do that now - unless you hand edit your sources.list to use the old-releases server. And that's still a lot of version upgrade steps, a lot of updates to download and install, a lot of potential points of breakage and a long time to complete.

Save yourself heartache, bandwidth and hassle and do a fresh install. :) It takes less than an hour. And since your 6.06 was "tried ... out and then put ... away" I guess you didn't re-configure it much, which is the main reason to do upgrades rather than a fresh install.

RMSjr
February 4th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Okay, thanks guys. :)

Rob.