PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failed update of Ubuntu 10.10 results in unbootable system

chessweb
February 4th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Hi,

yesterday I performed an automatic security update suggested by the update manager on my virtualized (with VirtualBox on a Windows 7 host) Ubuntu 10.10 installation.

The update somehow failed and left me with an unbootable system. When I try to boot, I am told that various folders, files, and what not are missing. Then the system drops into a busybox and leaves me with an (initramfs) prompt.

This happens with all kernels I get offered by GRUB, although the error messages are quite different from kernel to kernel.

Well, the short of it is this: I don't have the slightest idea on how to get back to a working system and this site is the final straw I'm willing to grab.
A complete disaster like this following an update initiated and executed by the system is unheard of in Windows-land; at least I haven't heard of it, yet, and therefore I am going to abandon Ubuntu and Linux altogeteher, if there is no remedy.

Regards, RSel

mörgæs
February 5th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Please post the error message you are getting.

akureyri
February 5th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Hello,

I have this same problem. My MacBook does not boot up and my pc boots up into command prompt where I can sign me in and than after a while the login screen appears and all is normal. This all happened after the first reboot after updating.

regards

mörgæs
February 5th, 2011, 11:19 AM
As above: Please post the exact error messages the Macbook is showing.

akureyri
February 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Hello,

It seems that I have a hard disk failure in my macbook. Now my pc works fine. I had some error messages that it could not mount the hard drive. When I booted the computer with the ubuntu cd I was unable to access the hard drive. I was also unable to format or partition. So it seems that the problem was not because of the upgrades.

tigerZERO
February 22nd, 2011, 04:33 AM
Hello,

I seem to be having the same problem with my macbook-based Ubuntu 10.10. The machine crashed after I tried to wake it from a screensaver last Friday (the 18th), so I'm not sure if it was that last update or what. I'm currently booting from the install CD, but even when I am using this OS I cannot mount the computer's hard drive to get at the files, nor can I run a clean install; the computer just freezes.

When I try to boot from the hard drive, the machine goes rapid-fire through a bunch of lines of code, faster than I can read, but it crashes after the following:

Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: no such file or directory
mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: no such file or directory
mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: no such file or directory

Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
no init found try passing init= bootarg

Then it apparently recognizes my USB drives as new hardware devices, after which it just hangs.

deconstrained
February 22nd, 2011, 04:54 AM
This has to be the 7th or 8th time I've seen this problem crop up in the forums in the past 36 hours, to which I'll give the same answer: boot to the live disk, mount your Linux partition, chroot and rebuild the initrafms.

Please, people. Use Google. Use the wikis. Scour the forums. You're not alone.

tigerZERO
February 22nd, 2011, 05:51 AM
I would love it if the solution were that simple, but when I attempt to mount the partition nothing happens, and I get the
"DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed: An operation is already pending"
error if I try to do anything else with it.

EDIT: Also this error after about 20 minutes of trying to mount:
DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

And in the terminal when I run e2fsck I get
"Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/sda2
Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?"

tigerZERO
February 23rd, 2011, 02:27 AM
Hello,
I've spent some more time on the forums, still with no luck.

I tried gparted, and the terminal returns
glibmm-ERROR **:
unhandled exception (type std::exception) in signal handler:
what: basic_string::_S_create

so between not being able to boot, not being able to mount, and not being able to even run gparted, there's nothing I can do to my knowledge.

EDIT: tune2fs tells me the filesystem state is clean with errors. Still can't run fsck, I just get "Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?"

Nonsense
February 23rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Same problem here.

Can't boot into system (no updates made).
When I use a Live-CD and try to mount my HD I get the dBus-error.
If I force mount the filesystem the disk is empty.
WTF?

I can't believe this is my filesystem corrupt and all my files gone/inaccessable?

EDIT: Will try this
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1563529&highlight=mount+root

tigerZERO
February 24th, 2011, 04:10 AM
SystemRescueCD was able to run fsck, we're back in business. I suppose this was a learning experience, at any rate.

dwllui
March 1st, 2011, 10:24 PM
I have a similar problem described here. Does anyone have any idea on how to resolve this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10509980#post10509980