PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to boot

asoriaz
February 4th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Hi,

I have a dualboot with Ubuntu 10.10 and Win XP Home ed.
Yesterday I installed a bunch of new updates in Ubuntu. When I attempt to boot up, I'm able to choose between booting in windows or in linux. Windows works fine, but when I try to start Ubuntu, the computer restarts itself, and I get the bootmenu again.

(Did not use an installation-CD.)

Any suggestions?

- Thanks.

oldfred
February 5th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Is this a wubi install?

To see your configuration:
Boot Info Script courtesy of forum member meierfra
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Paste results.txt, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the post's menu and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.

asoriaz
February 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Is this a wubi install?

To see your configuration:
Boot Info Script courtesy of forum member meierfra
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Paste results.txt, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the post's menu and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.

yes it's a wubi install. and as far as I understand, I can't run the bootinfoscript in windows, and my problem is that I can't boot into ubuntu at all. The computer simply restarts itself..

wilee-nilee
February 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Take a look at problem 2 in this thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198

asoriaz
February 9th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Take a look at problem 2 in this thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198

Thanks, the problem is as described in problem # 2, but the solutions doesn't cover my exact problem. I haven't upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10, or any other major upgrade. It was a couple of simple security fixes in an automatic upgrade. In desperation I tried to replace the wubildr file, but in vain..

wilee-nilee
February 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks, the problem is as described in problem # 2, but the solutions doesn't cover my exact problem. I haven't upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10, or any other major upgrade. It was a couple of simple security fixes in an automatic upgrade. In desperation I tried to replace the wubildr file, but in vain..

Your best move would be to download the 10.10 ISO and load a thumb or burn a cd and boot it live, to run the bootscript, then post it in that link.

asoriaz
February 10th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Boot Info Script 0.55 dated February 15th, 2010

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda
=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb

sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows XP
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System: Windows XP
Boot files/dirs: /BOOT.INI /NTLDR /NTDETECT.COM /wubildr.mbr
/ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr /wubildr
/ubuntu/winboot/wubildr /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk

sda1/Wubi: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

sdb1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows XP
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs:

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sda1 * 63 156,280,319 156,280,257 7 HPFS/NTFS

Drive: sdb ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sdb: 8011 MB, 8011120640 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 973 cylinders, total 15646720 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sdb1 63 15,646,719 15,646,657 7 HPFS/NTFS

blkid -c /dev/null: __________________________________________________ __________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/loop1 9cb0d4b4-8bd2-4ce4-aba6-761d188631ec ext4
/dev/sda1 28B8EBBFB8EB89A0 ntfs HDD
/dev/sda: PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sdb1 0EFC445EFC4441E7 ntfs
/dev/sdb: PTTYPE="dos"

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev output: ===========================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

aufs / aufs (rw)
/dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 (ro,noatime)
/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/sdb1 /media/0EFC445EFC4441E7 fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)

================================ sda1/BOOT.INI: ================================

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Gjenopprettingskonsoll for Microsoft Windows XP" /cmdcons
C:\wubildr.mbr = "Ubuntu"
so.. what now?

oldfred
February 10th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Boot script says there is a problem with your wubi root file. Normally you would run chkdsk on NTFS partitions and e2fsck on Linux ext2, ext3, or ext4 partitions. But wubi is a file with a ext4 structure inside a NTFS partition.

I think you still can mount the root.disk and run e2fsck, but I do not know enough about wubi. Someone else should.

Rubi1200
February 11th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Hi asoriaz and welcome to the forums :-)

oldfred asked me to offer a possible solution, so here goes.

You need to do the following from a LiveCD or LiveUSB:

sudo mkdir /media/win
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/win
sudo fsck /media/win/ubuntu/disks/root.diskAfter running the fsck, try mounting the root.disk to see if it is accessible:

sudo mount -o loop /media/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /mnt

If you can access the root.disk, follow the rest of the instructions in the Megathread from the point of mounting the root.disk onwards; problem #2, solution #1.

This should get you booting Wubi again and then you can apply the Permanent Fix to prevent this happening again.

asoriaz
February 11th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Hi asoriaz and welcome to the forums :-)

oldfred asked me to offer a possible solution, so here goes.

You need to do the following from a LiveCD or LiveUSB:

sudo mkdir /media/win
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/win
sudo fsck /media/win/ubuntu/disks/root.diskAfter running the fsck, try mounting the root.disk to see if it is accessible:

sudo mount -o loop /media/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /mntIf you can access the root.disk, follow the rest of the instructions in the Megathread from the point of mounting the root.disk onwards; problem #2, solution #1.

This should get you booting Wubi again and then you can apply the Permanent Fix to prevent this happening again.

Thanks! Ubuntu is up and working perfectly! :D got a friend that had the same problem, and it worked for him as well.

Rubi1200
February 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Excellent! Glad you (both) got it working again :-)

Please mark this thread Solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page so that other users can also find a working solution.

Enjoy!

nico_demo
February 11th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hi! Not that I want to complicate things further, but I did a fresh install of Maverick (64-bit) two days ago and, after updating, I am not able to boot either (*-25 Kernel installed, btw). Is there anything one can do to revert updates? Say, go back to the systems's state two days ago and perform updates little by little, to see what the problem source could be?

nico_demo
February 11th, 2011, 09:52 AM
ups, just wrote at the same time:-?. Since this thread is solved, I'll post somewhere else.