PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Linux from Scratch?

VitaminG
April 30th, 2006, 01:24 AM
I've been thinking about trying to compile an LFS system on a hard drive I have laying around, and I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it before/has any suggestions. I do plan to build it into a Gnome desktop with BLFS, not just the basic CLI version in the first LFS book.

Wallakoala
April 30th, 2006, 01:36 AM
From what I've heard...it takes a loooooooooooong time...

halfvolle melk
April 30th, 2006, 01:40 AM
I got LFS running (boots under 3 seconds) but stopped there. Will be doing BLFS when I get the time.

Thoughts:
(not just) Depending on your machine, it will take a lot of time. It will take a lot of work. If you're not sure, follow the manual to the letter.

It's really cool, try it! (only if th above applies ie. you have the tim for it.)

If so, PM me for all the packages. It's a **** to download bit by bit, but I've got all the packages on my server.

kjcon
April 30th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I've tried it a few times over several years. Although I never actually got it to work, I enjoyed the process and learned a lot about how linux works.

I'd recommend it if you have the time.

MasonM
April 30th, 2006, 02:32 AM
It's a good learning experience if you have the time to invest in it.

ssam
April 30th, 2006, 01:38 PM
i didn't get very far (some problem with recognising the architecture on via epia MII), but it was quite fun.

you might do better with debian, which is a similar idea, but with a very good package manager.

VitaminG
April 30th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all the responses...
Overall I'd say I should have the time, since summer break is in a few weeks. So I guess I'll go for it, since the general concensus seems to be positive. I'll probably keep updating my progress somewhere, maybe start a blog about it or something.

Kvark
April 30th, 2006, 02:16 PM
First you tell the computer to compile one package and leave it for 20 mins, then you tell the computer to compile another package and leave it for 1 min, then you repeat like a hundred times with random delays depending on the size of the packages.

So gather all the patience you have. Pick a task that you can take random breaks from to make the next step in LSF each time it's done with a compile. And most importantly, add && printf "\a" at the end of each compile command to make it beep when it's done.

void_false
April 30th, 2006, 03:54 PM
You've intrigued me ;)
After I buy some DVDs to put all my data on, I gonna try to install Gentoo again. ;)

VitaminG
May 1st, 2006, 02:52 AM
For those interested, i set up a blog on Blogger. I'll keep it updated as to my progress. Here's the link: http://lfsstuff.blogspot.com/

fuscia
May 1st, 2006, 02:55 AM
ghiradelli brownie mix > scratch

somewhere, there's a lesson there.

Kindred
May 1st, 2006, 03:05 AM
Good luck :) I hope to try it one day.

Slow going on that 150mb download I imagine.

s|k
May 1st, 2006, 03:37 AM
Sounds cool. I'll keep up on your blog. :)

matthew
May 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM
ghiradelli brownie mix > scratch

somewhere, there's a lesson there.Not when my wife is baking...

the lesson is that it all depends on the skill/interest of the baker

fuscia
May 1st, 2006, 02:19 PM
Not when my wife is baking...

the lesson is that it all depends on the skill/interest of the baker

exactly. when i'm near the stove, it may not work out of the box, but it only takes a few simple steps to get ghiradelli working. otherwise, i might just as well just throw away some flour and eggs and save the electricity.