PDA

View Full Version : sudo vs su

DigitalDuality
April 30th, 2006, 01:07 AM
I recently have been jumping desktops and distros left and right. After trying out Kubuntu, ubuntu, xubuntu, breezy and dapper.. playing with XGL/compiz.. i decided i've actually played enough with a distro that was much easier for me then any of the previous times i've ever played with it in the past..and move on to something else.

Now i used fedra/redhat in the past but i never knew what i was doing. I never committed to using it as an OS, so here i sit on an FC5 box. Everything running smoothly.. restricted formats, drivers, codecs, fonts and all.

I remember redhat was the distro of choice in my linux courses in college and i remember distinctly using Su.

But what i'd like to know.. is what are the benefits of su and sudo? what's the down falls of each? I'm learning quickly i like debian's package management alot better, and in terms of ease.. sudo. But what underlying things am i missing?

Is one more secure than the other? Sudo is an option in FC5..but i have to setup my user name for it or some such crap.. i dunno.

Just curious about people's take on the matter

Kethinov
April 30th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Advocates of replacing the root account with a single or set of sudo-enabled accounts argue that it is better security practice because it makes it impossible to login as the root user in both a terminal and graphical sense directly. If you need to do things as root, you need to explicitly say so with a password authorization, or sudo su as a regular user in the terminal and start launching rooted apps with it.

I personally prefer it done this way, and Mac OS X does this as well. It looks like sudo is taking over the world. Most of the popular UNIX based operating systems are defaulting to it now.

aysiu
April 30th, 2006, 02:38 AM
This (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo#head-6cfb89699f99dbeee57c81c64945454d6ded2fac) explains the pros and cons of both models.