PDA

View Full Version : As your lawyer, I wouldn't advise that

machiner
February 24th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Hunter S. is dead.

Long live the ragged, twisted, edge-seekers in us all.

Yukonjack
February 24th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Hunter S. is dead.
Long live the ragged, twisted, edge-seekers in us all.

I will miss him, always enjoy reading his books. :cry:
I am surprise he didn't do it live on the internet.

machiner
February 24th, 2005, 02:48 PM
I am afraid most of the population of this forum will have no idea who Hunter S. is...But I'll bet many have seen that trippy ( could it be anything else?) Johnny Depp flick:
Fear and Loathing...is that what it was called?

I read Fear and Loathing as a teen (14). At that point in my life I was living the book (woohoo....kinda) large, trippy, and inciting riots everywhere -- "Don't be afraid or weak" I would proclaim. Look to the SOURCE and STOMP IT OUT! was my mantra.

My good friend, my accomplis, my confidant would often retort, "as your lawyer..."

The 2 books I tried to forge a temproary existence on were:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and
On the Road.

I lived both (over and over again) only to find out that America was populated with mousey chicken-shits, and incredibly simple miscreants. I found some good folk, as well. (12)

But that's ok - I was also able to trade each book in the Army. I got some cigars for On the Road from my CO - and I got leave from my Sgt. for Fear and Loathing. Good deals for all.

Anyway - an interesting slice of Americana can be learned by doing some research on Hunter S. He had so much fear it just slipped away under the guise of chaos.

...and he wrote about it. One might also view the movie Easy Rider. No, it's not Hunter S...per say - but he was in that crowd.

He's actually written and done alot since I was exposed to him as a yout (what's a yout?) ... kids - do some research - you'll be glad you did.

Oh - Hunter S. REALLY loved Nixon!!!

Sam
February 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/02/21/thompson.obit/story.hunter.movie.jpg
Thompson, center, with actors Benicio Del Toro, left, and Johnny Depp at the 1998 premiere of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."

R.I.P.

Yukonjack
February 24th, 2005, 07:53 PM
If I recall the first movie made was Where the Buffalo Roams!
He was following the presidential election. A pretty good laugh. :)
I even got some of his write up on cassettes, just hilarious the awire reporter and his trusting layer on assignment hehehehe.

machiner
February 24th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Yeah -- with Bill Murray. I liked that movie better -- but the J. Depp one was far trippier -- just like Hunter S. would've wanted it.