PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update Manager -- how to filter out the updates by status?

macias
February 2nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Hello,

I already checked the preferences of UM but the filtering is somewhat awkward -- i.e. you have choice to EITHER install silently security updates OR be notified about all updates. One does not exclude the other, but for UM apparently it does.

But I have similar yet different need -- be notified about ONLY security updates (so when I click to show the updates, I will see only them). The rest of the updates should be ignored -- unless the update is required by the other, security update package.

Is there any way to do it? If yes -- how? Thank you in advance.

ajgreeny
February 2nd, 2011, 09:47 PM
I have never tried to use it that way, but can't you just remove the check mark from the Recommended updates tick-box, but keep the Only notify about available updates.

I have just tried it and can save the settings that way, but I always keep recommended updates checked as well, and having already updated today, there is no way I can check that the system actually works with those settings.
See my screenshot, if it helps.

macias
February 3rd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Thank you very much. This solves my problem -- I didn't see it because I don't use regular Ubuntu, and obviously (now) somebody crippled UM in a severe way.

Thank you again.