PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablet or Android Phone?

Lucradia
February 2nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
I was just wondering. What do you think is the best deal of these two:

A.) Get an Android Tablet, throttle up my cable internet to the 69.99 USD /mo 25 Mbps download 3 Mbps upload, so I can game better.

Or

B.) Get an android plan of 119 or so USD a month, no gaming, get rid of my cable Internet, and cable phone?

I can't have both. Note that the Plan A. would be cheaper, due to it being 69.99 + 14.99 USD/mo. I don't travel a lot, and when I do, there's usually a wifi point I can connect to. Gaming cannot be tethered easily without harsh fees above the normal rate:

=====
For people who support tethering:

260 KB/sec average on a 3D MMORPG. That's about 0.25390625 Megabytes of Data. Follow along the usage track:

This is considering 5 Hours a day:

0.25390625 * 60 = 15.234375 MB an hour

15.234375 * 5 = 76.171875 MB a day

76.171875 * 7 = 533.203125 MB a week

533.203125 * 4.5 = 2,399.41406 MB (or 2.4 GB) a month. (Carriers usually round up to the nearest megabyte)

Verizon's plan of 110 or so USD a month on Unlim. Talk and Text + 20 USD a month for the tether plan.

Seeing as I'd use the phone for video as well, IE: Youtube, video uploads, etc. Maybe every month or two, it would also rack up the MB usage. So in all, I'd probably be paying another 20 USD on top of that all.

=====

I will not tether as such. Plan B. would allow me to call my power company, surf web at pretty much everywhere (Like the tablet), stream videos if needed, and more. Cable Phone here doesn't allow me to call the power plant in case of a power outage, as the cable modem is required for the phone to work. So there are goods and bads to each plan. if I'm a gamer, I'd go with plan A. If I'm a normal everyday person with lots of friends, or go to events, travel a lot, I'd go with plan B. But I want to hear what your opinions are on this, one final time.

=====

I've made my decision to acquire an android phone on Verizon: The DROID BIONIC.

Joe of loath
February 2nd, 2011, 10:50 AM
120USD a month?

Wow. I'd advise you to find a cheaper plan somewhere else before you do anything.

Also, although the speeds are reasonable, mobile internet is rubbish for gaming, as the ping is so low. I'd recommend a basic data plan for a tablet/phone, and a reasonable ADSL/cable deal. Best of both worlds.

Lucradia
February 2nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
120USD a month?

Wow. I'd advise you to find a cheaper plan somewhere else before you do anything.

Also, although the speeds are reasonable, mobile internet is rubbish for gaming, as the ping is so low. I'd recommend a basic data plan for a tablet/phone, and a reasonable ADSL/cable deal. Best of both worlds.

If I remove texting, I can get a plan for about 99.98 USD a month (without tethering of course.) I wouldn't have detailed billing, nor insurance, those need to be added.

Sprint has a good price, but there's another 10 USD a month for the Data Upscale they require for the HTC EVO.

Verizon is actually the best deal around where I live, sadly. I pretty much would need Unlimited Voice Calling, and Data (US Cellular is out of the question.)

If I want the cheapest deal, but barely any network coverage, I need a GSM capable android phone (An Unlocked DROID 2 Global.)

s.fox
February 2nd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)