PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] After 10.10 upgrade Video go Boom

Mrdx
February 2nd, 2011, 06:48 AM
Hi,

I'm in process of killing all my windows PCs and Laptops and just starting to learn Linux.
(I am an old fart and a slow learner & but I rule because my T-shirt says so)

I just upgraded a PC to 10.10 and the video no longer works. It will boot and it can be seen on the network. When it boots I get the Ubuntu logo but it goes away and I get a flashing cursor top left, then it goes away and I have a black screen.

Any help I would appreciate.

Thanks

Dimarchi
February 2nd, 2011, 12:52 PM
Not enough info to suggest a thing about your issue, so here are the questions that need answers in order to answer your question. ;p

1.) Upgraded? How? Clean install? Upgraded some previous version of Ubuntu? Which version of Ubuntu (Kubuntu/Xubuntu/some other)? x64 version? Desktop, alternative?
2.) Did you see a thing after being done installing but before rebooting? Yes, a stupid question...but asking it, anyway. ;p
3.) What is your video card? Did you opt to install proprietary video card drivers or go with the default drivers?

Mrdx
February 2nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hi,

It was using 32bit Ubuntu v8.?
Upgraded by the update manager.
Yes. After the update it was working. I rebooted then the video had a few hiccps and through the next few hours of usage the screen saver would go blank and it would have an issue recovering. Later that day I turned it back on and during boot the monitor flashed a few times and never recovered. Now all I get is what I described in my post.

The system is a Dell Dimension - Bluford E139765 main board.
During the upgrade it did not ask me about specific drivers.

It has 2 hard drives, one for the OS and the other for all data/music and so on. I was just thinking about doing a fresh install of 10.10

The monitor is working fine with all the resolution modes working. I checked it on 2 other dual boot systems. Linux Mint, Xandros and Windows. I also pulled out a drive from one of those systems and stuck it in this other one to see it the M-board video was dying or dead. Nope, it was fine with the same monitor.

It must be a driver issue but I don't know how to fix it. This is or could be a bug or just a bad driver.

Dimarchi
February 3rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
I suggest a clean install of 10.10 - it could be that whatever is left over from the previous version of Ubuntu is messing up your computer...heck, I'm pretty sure this is just the case.

I couldn't find much with my cursory search of Google about your computer's video card.

Mrdx
February 3rd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Thank you for looking around for an answer.

Right, I agree.
I downloaded the ISO and making the USB installer now.

Ill post back when installed and let you know if that solved it.

Mrdx
February 3rd, 2011, 09:10 PM
Fresh install and it's all working.

Yup, something with the upgrade must have been a bit spotty.

Thanks