PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot remove ppa

Brown Betty
February 2nd, 2011, 06:43 AM
I am having a slightly ridiculous problem where a ppa added cannot be removed.

The akirad repository, (deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/akirad/akirad/ubuntu maverick main) 404s, because, I assume, it does not have a maverick version, and causes my update manager to repeatedly inform me my sources are outdated, because it cannot be reached. Because I do not care one way or another about the repo, I attempted to remove it by deleting the sources.list.d/akirad.list* files. They magically reappeared.

I then tried visiting Synaptic -> Settings -> Repositories -> Other Sources, and selecting and deleting the akirad entries that way. Wooh, they have disappeared from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/!

And yet, the next thing I know, I am being told that akirad has 404ed, and my source list is out of date.

It seems that the repo is added again every time I reboot, but I only know that that's when I *notice* it.

Does anyone know what's going on, or how to stop it?

garvinrick4
February 2nd, 2011, 06:52 AM
Open a terminal and:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.listPut a # (comment sign) in front of line that is offending
and hit save. Will now not recognize line.

Cattle
March 18th, 2011, 02:44 PM
The issue of reappearence of the Akirad Repository even after it has been deleted from the etc/apt/sources.list.d seems similar to that of :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1703618&highlight=Akirad

The ppa reappears after a re-boot seems to be due to the 'akiradrelease' script running at every boot-up of the system. FYI, the 'akiradrelease' script should be located at etc/init.d/.

Try running via terminal :

locate akirad

If the output has the 'akiradrelease' at etc/init.d/akiradrelease , try to remove that script file from that folder to another non-File System folder, and then delete any akirad ppa at etc/apt/sourceslist.d.

Reboot and then check whether the ppa reappears.

Best Regards:)

JohnMcReynolds
April 12th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Yipee! Removing the script did the trick. Many thanks for the post.