I have in the directory:

app-defaults xinit Xreset.d
cursors xkb Xresources
default-display-manager xorg.conf-backup-101225181054 Xsession
fonts xorg.conf-backup-101227145410 Xsession.d
rgb.txt xorg.conf.failsafe Xsession.options
X Xreset Xwrapper.config

but no file has the name xorg.config

b)I have problem with graphic driver(cannot install GeForce proprietary driver). So, currently using a generic graphic driver.

I tried Application>System>Hardware Drivers, but the Nvidia driver doesn't show up. I thought i could change the line for driver in the xorg.config file, then reboot and call up Application>System>Hardware Drivers in order to detect a NVidia proprietary driver. But it does not work.

Any help, please.

tommcd
February 2nd, 2011, 03:38 AM
1)I wonder where is the file /etc/X11/xorg.config

The name of the file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf, not xorg.config.
Newer versions of Xorg like the one in Ubuntu 10.04 use kernel mode setting to enable graphics and do not need an xorg.conf file.

I have problem with graphic driver(cannot install GeForce proprietary driver). So, currently using a generic graphic driver.

I tried Application>System>Hardware Drivers, but the Nvidia driver doesn't show up. ...
What nvidia card do you have? If you have a Gforce 6 series or newer card, you can just install the nvidia-current driver from the Ubuntu repos. Also install mesa-utils and nvidia-settings. Then run sudo nvidia-xconfig to enable the driver. Then reboot and you should be good

telescopic
February 2nd, 2011, 05:41 AM
I have Geforce 6150, I use Synaptic and search for files nvidia-current, nvidia-current-dev, mesa-utils. and installs them.

Now, I type in terminal, sudo nvidia-xconfig...

elvin@elvin-laptop:~$ sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

tommcd
February 3rd, 2011, 03:05 AM
I use Synaptic and search for files nvidia-current, nvidia-current-dev, mesa-utils. and installs them.
Also install nvidia-settings as I said in my last post.

Now, I type in terminal, sudo nvidia-xconfig...
sudo: nvidia-xconfig: command not found
I don't know why some people have this problem. I have seen it reported before, but it has never happened to me. Try rebooting and then stop X with:

sudo service gdm stop
Then see if you can run sudo nvidia-xconfig. Then restart X with:

sudo service gdm start Or just reboot with sudo reboot. And see if the driver is enabled.

Did installing the nvidia driver create an xorg.conf file? If so, then you could just try changing the driver from "nv" to "nvidia" to enable the driver.