PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Trying to set up a server

stalemath
February 1st, 2011, 10:47 PM
I am trying to set up a server using the tutorial here: http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/06/05/build_your_own_server/1

However, I am using Xubuntu 10.04 and I'm encountering some issues since this tutorial was written for an older version.

Is there any good guide that can be suggested to me for this since I am new to Linux?

rudelgurke
February 1st, 2011, 10:54 PM
And what are the issues ? Installation, Samba, Ftp, SSH, VNC configuration or something else ?
Basically this guide should still work.

stalemath
February 1st, 2011, 10:59 PM
Well, when I got to the 4th step (Samba), I encountered some differences in the smb.conf file, however, I think I may have done that part correctly. I am now to access my server (bottom of 4th page : \\(whatever the IP of the server is)\homes ) from a Mac, and can't exactly figure that out.

rudelgurke
February 1st, 2011, 11:14 PM
And if you run "smbclient -L _the_ip_of_your_server_" your shares are correctly shown ?
If so, problem may be on the client or authentication related that your Mac can't authenticate against your Samba server.
In both cases - /var/log/samba.log - might be helpful to provide additional information what may be wrong.

stalemath
February 1st, 2011, 11:45 PM
And if you run "smbclient -L _the_ip_of_your_server_" your shares are correctly shown ?
If so, problem may be on the client or authentication related that your Mac can't authenticate against your Samba server.
In both cases - /var/log/samba.log - might be helpful to provide additional information what may be wrong.

I don't think anything went wrong (yet)... I am just trying to connect to the server through a Mac. I don't know how.

rudelgurke
February 1st, 2011, 11:53 PM
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1568

Maybe helps then on how to connect via OSX to a Samba share. :)

If the problem is just related to the Mac on the client side.

stalemath
February 2nd, 2011, 12:19 AM
I figured out how to connect using this guide: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/how-do-i-connect-a-mac-os-x-machine-to-a-samba-share/173

However, I cannot seem to figure out how to access [homes]... I enabled it in smb.conf, but it's still only showing print$ (as was the default option in smb.conf)

lisati
February 2nd, 2011, 12:21 AM
I figured out how to connect using this guide: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/how-do-i-connect-a-mac-os-x-machine-to-a-samba-share/173

However, I cannot seem to figure out how to access [homes]... I enabled it in smb.conf, but it's still only showing print$ (as was the default option in smb.conf)

This might seem like a silly question but it might be worth a shot: did you restart samba after changing the settings?

stalemath
February 2nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
This might seem like a silly question but it might be worth a shot: did you restart samba after changing the settings?

I thought I did, by typing sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart but it says: command not found

lisati
February 2nd, 2011, 12:29 AM
I thought I did, by typing sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart but it says: command not found

In newer versions of Ubuntu, an alternative is:

sudo service samba restart

stalemath
February 2nd, 2011, 12:34 AM
I read elsewhere to type this /etc/init.d/smbd restart

and that seemed to have an effect
It said

Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8) utility, e.g. service smbd restart

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an Upstart job, you may also use the restart(8) utility, e.g. restart smbd
smbd start, running process 5199

So I entered service smbd restart, and I got:

smbd start/running, process 5213

However, after I disconnected/reconnected, it still doesn't show homes

stalemath
February 2nd, 2011, 12:44 AM
In newer versions of Ubuntu, an alternative is:

sudo service samba restart

I got that, and I guess it restarted. But homes still isn't appearing after I disconnect/reconnect to the server

SeijiSensei
February 2nd, 2011, 02:09 AM
The [homes] share is a generic reference to all the users' home directories. If user shirley has an account on the server, and there's a corresponding entry for shirley in smbpasswd, then connecting with shirley's username and password will result in mounting /home/shirley.

So rather than connecting to \\server\homes or something like that, you want to connect to \\server\shirley with her username and password.

stalemath
February 2nd, 2011, 06:36 AM
The [homes] share is a generic reference to all the users' home directories. If user shirley has an account on the server, and there's a corresponding entry for shirley in smbpasswd, then connecting with shirley's username and password will result in mounting /home/shirley.

So rather than connecting to \\server\homes or something like that, you want to connect to \\server\shirley with her username and password.

It's not letting me connect that way

SeijiSensei
February 2nd, 2011, 06:49 AM
I'm sorry; you're using a Mac it appears. Try using smb://server/username as described in the techrepublic link you posted above. Windows uses the "\\server\share" method of naming; *nix systems like Linux and OS X use the URL style of "smb://server/share".

Just to make sure, have you set up user accounts in Samba (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba/SambaServerGuide#File%20Sharing%20%28Basics%29) via smbpasswd as well as in Linux?

stalemath
February 2nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
I'm sorry; you're using a Mac it appears. Try using smb://server/username as described in the techrepublic link you posted above. Windows uses the "\\server\share" method of naming; *nix systems like Linux and OS X use the URL style of "smb://server/share".

Just to make sure, have you set up user accounts in Samba (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba/SambaServerGuide#File%20Sharing%20%28Basics%29) via smbpasswd as well as in Linux?

Thanks, but I am aware of the difference, as I was able to connect by just typing smb://server, but when I did smb://server/share it said:

The volume [share] could not be mounted.

And yes I did set up my user accounts, I know because when I connected with smb://server, my username appeared and it prompted me for my password. I then connected and it only showed print$ (which is enabled by default in the smb.conf file)

stalemath
February 2nd, 2011, 07:20 AM
Nevermind, I figured out how to enable homes, but when I try to mount it, it says The volume "homes" could not be mounted.