PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie: How do I install Ubuntu on XP machine that won't boot?

amstocks
February 1st, 2011, 02:05 PM
Hi.

I haven't used Linux/Ubuntu before but I feel the time has come!

My parents Windows XP Dell machine won't boot (says it's corrupt, stops itself before windows loads). It's been dragged down by virus/malmare lately and is fairly sick.

I'm no Windows expert and can't seem to fix it, but I thought if I install Ubuntu for them they'd be alright, get them away from Windows for good….but can anyone tell me in very simple terms the procedure I need to go through to install Ubuntu.

I can download Ubuntu now on my machine and burn it onto a CD or put it on a USB stick.

I'm especially keen to know how to ensure I retrieve all their data (mostly photos...they do have back up system but I've no guarantee it's actually be working lately).

Many thanks!

mharrison
February 1st, 2011, 02:09 PM
I would say burn the ISO to a CD and stick it in their machine. It will get you to a screen with two options...Try Ubuntu and Install Ubuntu.

I would suggest the Try Ubuntu option. From here you should be able to mount their hard drive and dig around for any data you can get to. After you do this, there will be a shortcut on the LiveCD's desktop that says Install Ubuntu. Follow the prompts and away you go. I might suggest you shrink the Windows partition so if you find out later you missed that photo of you as a baby you can go back in to the Windows partition and find it ;)

mharrison
February 1st, 2011, 02:10 PM
Now I know you technically won't be dual booting, I would read over this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

It has some good tips on resizing the Windows partitions and such.

Good luck.

jroa
February 1st, 2011, 02:15 PM
If the BIOS is capable and setup to boot from a CD, then the above procedure will work. You may have to tweak your BIOS to get it to boot the CD, though. Can you access the BIOS before it starts to boot? There may also be an option before boot to access boot options.

kansasnoob
February 1st, 2011, 03:09 PM
Check out the "Show me how" links here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

amstocks
February 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM
Wow, thanks everyone. Great stuff.

Sounds like I can handle that.

Jroa, yes, it gets to a screen (BIOS?) with various options, with the option of hitting F12 (or F8, cant' remember) to boot from a CD. So hopefully that will allow me to do what I want.

Good advice to try and reduce the Windows partition Matt. Will try, thanks.

Swagman
February 1st, 2011, 04:43 PM
Important

You WONT be able to save your parents stuff to a live cd so make sure you have a usb stick to hand or make an account with UbuntuONE and upload their stuff to it. You can download back off the cloud afterwards.

https://one.ubuntu.com/files/

amstocks
February 1st, 2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks Swagman. Do you mean once I have Ubuntu running, I can dig around in the Windows partition files and save stuff off, though only to USB stick...?

And to be sure, do I just download the standard Ubuntu download, or do I need the Windows Installer version?

Thanks again.

Swagman
February 1st, 2011, 05:17 PM
If you are going to make I live CD then just the standard one will do.. But make sure you burn it to CD AS AN IMAGE.. don't just burn it as a file.

And YES you will be able to browse anything on the hard drive and then save the stuff you want onto usb stick

Good ennit

:-)

Carson5696
February 1st, 2011, 05:33 PM
First burn the iso on to a usb drive using the ubuntu install instructions on the website, Second insert the usb into your computer, Third turn on you computer and press the ESC key then choose USB(Most likely the second one), Fourth choose the top option when ubuntu boot screen starts, Fifth click on install ubuntu on the desktop(or on the left top side with ubuntu netbook), Sixth Fallow through the installation, Seventh when you get to allocate drive space choose install along other operating system, Eighth choose how much GB's you want ubuntu to have, Ninth finish the installation and use a fixing tool to fix Window's XP

amstocks
February 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks Swagman. I've burnt the .iso file using Disk Utility on Mac OS X (though not sure I've done it as an image). I now have a CD that contains lots of folders, starting autorun.inf. That gonna be ok? Or should I be burning the Ubuntu Disk Image that appeared on my desktop after the download?

I'm only asking so many questions cause I'm travelling up there later and will be without web connection for a while so want to make sure I'm all set.

But I feel I am. Thanks to all your excellent help.

Cheers Carson. Your consise instructions are most welcome.

linuxonbute
February 1st, 2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks Swagman. I've burnt the .iso file using Disk Utility on Mac OS X (though not sure I've done it as an image). I now have a CD that contains lots of folders, starting autorun.inf. That gonna be ok? Or should I be burning the Ubuntu Disk Image that appeared on my desktop after the download?

I'm only asking so many questions cause I'm travelling up there later and will be without web connection for a while so want to make sure I'm all set.

But I feel I am. Thanks to all your excellent help.

Cheers Carson. Your consise instructions are most welcome.
You can test if the disc you have created is as it should be by booting it on your own PC

Carson5696
February 1st, 2011, 06:50 PM
Yes i have done it before