PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Space Reduced

FahadMKS
February 1st, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I have upgraded my Ubuntu from 10.04 LTS to 10.10. Before upgrading, I had about 25 Gb of free space on my computer and now after the upgradation is complete I see a great reduction in the space of my Hard disk.
About 10 Gb space has been cut off. Is this normal and if not, please can anyone help me in getting back the space I had with the 10.04 version.

vanadium
February 1st, 2011, 02:07 PM
Very strange indeed. A clean Ubuntu system does not need more than 4 GB. An upgrade will probably increase disk usage, but that should still be limited.

Try to see where all the disk space went, using the du command or the graphical tool under Applications - Accessories. It might likely hint to another cause of your disk usage.

mörgæs
February 1st, 2011, 03:23 PM
This is one of the reasons why I always do a clean install :-)

You could try sudo apt-get clean to see if it frees up some space.

FahadMKS
February 1st, 2011, 04:19 PM
The problem here is when I check with the Disk usage analyzer, it shows as 23.6 Gb free. But when I open up a window, at the bottom, it just shows as 15 Gb free.
Why is this occurring.

I have attached the images on how it is.

matt_symes
February 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM
Hi

Open a terminal and type

sudo du -sh /

What does that return ?

Kind regards

FahadMKS
February 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hi

Open a terminal and type

sudo du -sh /What does that return ?

Kind regards
The message I get there is

fahad@fahad-desktop:~$ sudo du -sh /
du: cannot access `/home/fahad/.gvfs': Permission denied

Why is this so? I am logged in as an admin user.
Please help me.

matt_symes
February 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM
Hi

Why is this so? I am logged in as an admin user.

I believe it because it's a FUSE mount point under your user and root cannot see it.

mount | grep gvfs

This is my output of the command above.

gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/matthew/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=matthew)

You should be able to see it from your user.

ls ~/.gvfs

Anyways, after the sudo du -sh command it shouild have given you a grand total of disk usage for /.

What did it give you ?

This is mine.

matthew@matthew-laptop:~$ sudo du -sh /
[sudo] password for matthew:
du: cannot access `/home/matthew/.gvfs': Permission denied
45G /
matthew@matthew-laptop:~$

Kind regards

Carson5696
February 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hello,
When you upgraded ubuntu, ubuntu installed a new swap space (is a portion of a hard disk drive (HDD) that is used for virtual memory) Swap Space can take up 5 to 11 GB. I would recommend that you you first download Remastersys (Takes all of your files and programs and put them on a live ubuntu install disc so you can reinstall ubuntu with you old files and programs.) Then do a clean install with the live CD that you made

vanadium
February 1st, 2011, 05:47 PM
It might be possible indeed that disk usage analyzer lists all space on the entire file system, i.e. including attached storage, whereas a nautilus window lists the free space available on the volume where the directory is located. This makes sense, because the user will not be able to store more data than is available on the current volume.

What is the output of "df -h"? This commands works for each individual volume.

FahadMKS
February 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM
Hi

I believe it because it's a FUSE mount point under your user and root cannot see it.

mount | grep gvfsThis is my output of the command above.

gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/matthew/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=matthew)You should be able to see it from your user.

ls ~/.gvfsAnyways, after the sudo du -sh command it shouild have given you a grand total of disk usage for /.

What did it give you ?

This is mine.

matthew@matthew-laptop:~$ sudo du -sh /
[sudo] password for matthew:
du: cannot access `/home/matthew/.gvfs': Permission denied
45G /
matthew@matthew-laptop:~$Kind regards
This is what I got.

du: cannot access `/proc/2517/task/2517/fd/3': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `/proc/2517/task/2517/fdinfo/3': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `/proc/2517/fd/3': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `/proc/2517/fdinfo/3': No such file or directory
120G /

vanadium
February 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM
This indicates your data occupies 120G, information we got already from the screenshot, although we now have it in a more efficient way (only 4 bytes).