PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing And Installing(Later) Windows Vista In Dual Boot

Hitman.sunny
February 1st, 2011, 07:13 AM
I have installed vista(Preloaded) and Ubuntu 10.10 in dual boot in my laptop.
Now i want to get rid of vista, and want to have only Ubuntu, also i want to assign all space to Ubuntu.
I have two query's

1. How could i cleanly uninstall Vista from my system? (I Used WUBI to install Ubuntu)
2. Can i install Vista in future? (As my Vista was preloaded, Vista didn't recognize the hard drive on which Ubuntu is installed)

Mark Phelps
February 1st, 2011, 04:57 PM
I have installed vista(Preloaded) and Ubuntu 10.10 in dual boot in my laptop.
Now i want to get rid of vista, and want to have only Ubuntu, also i want to assign all space to Ubuntu.
I have two query's

1. How could i cleanly uninstall Vista from my system? (I Used WUBI to install Ubuntu)

Answer ... not easily ... as a Wubi install embeds Ubuntu INSIDE MS Windows, such that if you remove Windows, you erase Ubuntu in the process.

2. Can i install Vista in future? (As my Vista was preloaded, Vista didn't recognize the hard drive on which Ubuntu is installed)
IF you have a Vista install DVD (and a legit product key) you can install Vista any time you want -- but since you mentioned "preloaded", I'm guessing you have NO disk. Right?

On preloaded systems, vendors typically save a compressed OS image in a partition (sometimes hidden) on the hard drive. If you still have that partition, and a way to invoke Vista restore (usually through a function key, or using a CD that came with the machine), you will be able to reinstall Vista later -- back to the original state it was in when you first used the machine.

If you erased that partition, you will NOT be able to reinstall Vista.

Hitman.sunny
February 1st, 2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks Mark,
You are right i did the same i.e. assigning all space to ubuntu except recovery partition.
As i was formatting my system so was not able to access net, i had to format my HD for 3 times to understand the consequences.