PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing gigabit 8111e NIC

balamquitze
February 1st, 2011, 03:35 AM
Hi Everyone:

I have been trying to install the appropriate driver for my 8111e NIC (Realtek gigabit). I originally installed the proper driver from Realtek, and set up the "interfaces" file as follows:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# iface eth0 inet static
# address 10.10.10.50
# netmask 255.255.255.0
# gateway 10.10.10.1

I also tried to set up the speed of the ethernet card using the "ethtool" as follows:
sudo ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off

When I check the result by typing "sudo ethtool eth0" I get the following:

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
MDI-X: Unknown
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
drv probe ifdown ifup
Link detected: no

My problem is that when I reboot my computer, I do not get a connection to the internet. The only way for me to get connected is by going to the subdirectory where I have the 8111e driver and typing "sudo ./autorun.sh" twice. But if I reboot my computer I loose the network connection and when I type the command "sudo ifconfig -a", I get an output that indicates that the eth0 device did not pick up any IP address.

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit. I do not think this is the issue. I am hopping to find a way to set up the autodetection of the IP address permanently.

Also, the commands "ifdown eth0" or "ifup eth0" do not work. I have been checking many postings on the topic through the internet, but none of them has given me the proper solution.

Can any one suggests a solution to this problem. Thank you in advance for your support.

Balamquitze