PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubi-partman crashed: error 141 on ubuntu 10.10 install

danthepianoman
February 1st, 2011, 01:10 AM
I keep getting a message saying "ubi-partman crashed error code 141" then tells me where I can find more information. This happens whilst trying to install ubuntu 10.10 on a dell optiplex gx60 slim tower, it will not install no matter what way I try it from live cd, flash drive, or from clean install on freshly formatted ntfs drive with no OS installed. I have tried every way to install. This time I got it to get to the main ubuntu screen and it says "verifying the installation configuration..." and hangs there then that error comes up, I hit continue anyway and it is now sitting while verifying and is about 2/5 the way done. I am new to ubuntu and if you need anymore information let me know. When I try to install from the demo, it just stalls and the screen just freezes after I pick my language and doesn't do anything even after I left it on for 3 days over the weekend.

Right now in the little console under "verifying the installation configuration" it says the date and "ubuntu kernel: [pe) vsz:2056KB, anon-rss: 125kb, fi" and just has the taskbar at the top other than that window.

Please help, sorry if I didn't give enough information, let me know what I need and I will get it. I need to fix this to use nagios for my job's network.

Thank you,
Dan.

Rubi1200
February 1st, 2011, 04:07 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums :-)

Two suggestions:

1. post the specifications especially graphics card and RAM

2. give 10.04 a try as a LiveCD and if that works install it, unless there is some pressing need to use 10.10

danthepianoman
February 1st, 2011, 11:40 PM
Hi Rubi1200!

Thank you, I did install 10.04 successfully, however, I am curious to know what are the benefits of switching to 10.10? I'm using this machine to monitor a MPLS cloud network at my workplace to make sure our servers stay up and ping.

Thank you,
Dan.

Rubi1200
February 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Personally, I see little or no benefit unless you must have the latest and greatest.

10.04 is stable and supported as a Long Term Support with updates on the Desktop until 2013 and Server till 2015.