PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Task bar autohides on "Search and lauch" ...

mind_exploit
January 31st, 2011, 10:24 PM
Hello,

I installed Kubuntu and removed Win 7 two days ago :) ... and I just love the "Search and launch" ... but unfortunately I can't make the task bar stay visible on every application I run. It's visible only when I'm looking the "Search and launch" - take a look at the attachment, but on every application it autohides.
I sitll can't find the setting for this ... but when I was testing the Kubuntu on virtual machine - then the taskbar didn't autohide.

Thanks in advance.

PS: And also, is there a shortcut to open the "run" popup? ... I can launch it with "Alt+F2", but only on "Desktop" workspace type ... on "Notebook" it doesn't launch ... :(

inobe
February 1st, 2011, 01:04 AM
unlock widgets> click cashew on bar> more settings> always visible.

mind_exploit
February 1st, 2011, 11:59 AM
unlock widgets> click cashew on bar> more settings> always visible.

Hello,

I actually found this at the very beginning, but it's only on "Desktop" workspace type, and not on the notebook one. So, when I apply the setting - it has the desired effect only on the "Desktop" workspace type, and not on the "Notebook" one ...

Or maybe I'm doing something wrong? ... I don't see "cashew" on the taskbar in "Notebook" mode ...

inobe
February 1st, 2011, 04:52 PM
seems like there are no settings to prevent this, at least a gui settings.

http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Netbooks#Tips_and_Tricks

maybe there are config files for it, i will research it.

mind_exploit
February 1st, 2011, 05:06 PM
seems like there are no settings to prevent this, at least a gui settings.

http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Netbooks#Tips_and_Tricks

maybe there are config files for it, i will research it.

Thanks a lot dude ... :guitar: ... really ;)

ankspo71
February 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM
Hi,
Have you already tried using the KDE normal desktop with the search and launch containment, instead of using the KDE Netbook desktop? I attached a screenshot to show you the difference. That is the default desktop panel (not the netbook's panel), except I moved it to the top. Alt + F2 (krunner) will work again too. Edit: Also, the desktop panel (taskbar) won't autohide unless you tell it to in the panel's settings

If you are interested in trying this, I highly recommend making a backup of your home folder, or at least the hidden ".kde" folder inside your home folder. I have ruined my KDE settings a few times when switching back and forth between Desktop and Netbook.

To get back to the original desktop:
Go to 'system settings' > 'workspace'
Then change from "netbook" to "desktop".
Click "Apply"

Next, to add the search and launch containment:
Right click on your desktop and choose:
Configure Desktop View (or Configure Folder View, etc)
When "Desktop Settings - Plasma Workspace" opens, click on "Activity".
Select "Search and Launch containment"
Click "Apply"

All done.

mind_exploit
February 1st, 2011, 10:52 PM
Yes, I've tried it. Without placing it on top actually, that's a good idea ;) ... and didn't encounter any problems when switching between desktop and notebook workspaces.

I just liked very much - on the "notebook" workspace - the way the title bar of the application is merged with the task bar. That's the thing that won me mostly.

So, if there is no way to achieve this - I'll most probably do the way you did. But - in my opinion it should be doable ;)

inobe
February 1st, 2011, 11:03 PM
So, if there is no way to achieve this - I'll most probably do the way you did. But - in my opinion it should be doable ;)

looks like you just need to unlock the desk and hover at top center :lol:

ankspo71
February 1st, 2011, 11:38 PM
looks like you just need to unlock the desk and hover at top center :lol:

Wow, After reading what you said and fumbling with it for a while I finally found it. Thanks. I had to do what you said plus click on the cashew thing at the bottom left of the screen.

inobe
February 1st, 2011, 11:43 PM
Wow, After reading what you said and fumbling with it for a while I finally found it. Thanks. I had to do what you said plus click on the cashew thing at the bottom left of the screen.

your welcome.

now i just need to figure out how to remove stuff from that top launcher, figured out how to add by dragging :lol:

ankspo71
February 2nd, 2011, 12:12 AM
your welcome.

now i just need to figure out how to remove stuff from that top launcher, figured out how to add by dragging :lol:

That is what the little star (to add) and minus (to remove) symbols are for - when you hover over application icons on the desktop and the launcher. ):P

ankspo71
February 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM
Or you can drag an icon off the launcher into the trash can that magically appears on the left side of the screen.

inobe
February 2nd, 2011, 12:20 AM
That is what the little star (to add) and minus (to remove) symbols are for - when you hover over application icons on the desktop and the launcher. ):P

Or you can drag an icon off the launcher into the trash can that magically appears on the left side of the screen.

perfect:D

looks like the netbook interface is starting to grow on me.

mind_exploit
February 2nd, 2011, 12:26 AM
Thank you so much :) I did it :) ... I'm so happy now :) ...

:guitar::lolflag::guitar: