PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu 10.04 + nvidia = checking battery state

lordemperor
January 31st, 2011, 08:30 PM
Edit: Disregarded NVidia's instructions and re-installed driver using the instructions here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia). Has survived two reboots and 3D functions are restored.

Not the cutting-edge latest driver but I don't need that really.

Leaving post up in case anyone else needs it.

My hardware:

Dell Vostro 230 (Provided by my employer)
CPU: E5400 @ 2.70GHz
RAM: 3GB
Video: NVidia Gefoce 310 512MB (Dell upgrade)

I have a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04. Installation went fine and I installed the NVidia driver according to NVidia's directions, essentially:

stop kdm
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.36.run
rebootEverything worked fine until Kubuntu installed some updates which required a reboot, there was probably a kernel update in there but I didn't take note at the time as there were not any problems then.

Upon reboot I go the dreaded Checking battery state... [OK]. With some furious googling it turned out to be the NVidia driver or a conflict with it.

I tried a couple of solutions including adding nouveau to several blacklists, to no avail. The "solution" which got the system running again was to disabled he NVidia driver by editing xorg.conf.

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
# Driver "nvidia"
Driver "nv"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSectionThis I gather has disabled the NVidia driver in favour of the default nouveau driver.

At any rate, my desktop is working again but of course lacks compositing and 3d acceleration.

Did I do the NVidia install wrong?

Will reinstalling the NVidia driver get it working again?

How can I prevent this problem from cropping up again in the future?

inobe
February 1st, 2011, 01:07 AM
glad that worked out for you.

you can mark your thread solved by clicking thread tools.