PDA

View Full Version : God I hate Apple's style...

ajmctaggart
January 31st, 2011, 07:56 PM
Boss has an iPad.

Boss going on trip that it would be nice to have Prezi (www.prezi.com) app installed. This is mainly due to the inability to run Flash native, btw...

First, I go to App Store - 5 updates. I select what app to update, in which I am immediately taken back to home screen. So, I must do this routine 4 times in order to update all apps. On Android, I just keep on clicking through apps, never leaving the Marketplace.

Next, I go to install Prezi. Now, I have to agree to updated iTunes policy. I read through first page, get to bottom. Guess what, this is page 1 of 35 WTF!

So, after page 3, I agree to agree, without really knowing what I've given up to Apple by agreeing (first born, organs for the non-benevolent dictator, etc...).

Then I finally get to install Prezi, Success!

No, not success...

I am informed that once I sign into my account from a computer, I'll be able to continue on this magical carpet ride Apple provides it's users to actually USE our devices.

This is a small business, and we have an iTunes account for company devices. I open up my Virtual box install of XP, deny those chances to update to iTunes 210-and-a-third and go straight to our account settings to "Check for Purchases," Success! I see Prezi downloading to my iTunes, in Virtual Box, which I never use.

So again, I try to install from my iPad, on a wifi connection...same stupid error.

So, I am currently downloading the latest iTunes to my bosses laptop, so she can download the latest iOS for her iPad, so we can install a Prezi app, that has the world's crappiest reviews to date.

And people say Ubuntu and Android are confusing platforms to a new user, please spare me...

I think I'm having one of those F my Life moments.

perspectoff
January 31st, 2011, 08:07 PM
I hadn't realized that the iPhone only represented 16% of the smartphone market. Google Android #1 and Nokia Symbian #2, each have double the market penetration, about 32% each, of iPhone.

With all the hype about the iPhone, you would think it was a majority player, but it is actually 5th place.

iPad will go the same way, I'm afraid. The Samsung Galaxy is already growing exponentially. It's great to be first to the party (and I love a catchy name and to appear "trendy", too), but in the end I like something that works well and is affordable and which I can customize the way I like it.

Suddenly it dawns on me why Shuttleworth is looking at making sure Qt is part of Ubuntu (and KDE, of course, has had the headstart in incorporating Qt into its framework). That's because Nokia's Symbian (which is Qt-based) has been the number one smartphone for a long time (Google Android only surpassed it this month).

To have vertical integration between Mobile OS platforms that use Qt and desktop/laptop/netbook platforms, Qt must be integrated into the desktop/laptop/netbook OS.

So a focus on Kubuntu (which uses KDE and Qt) is logical.

CharlesA
January 31st, 2011, 08:15 PM
Not really a testimonial on Ubuntu, more like a rant about Apple.

Moved to the Cafe, you can continue the discussion when that section reopens if you so desire.