PDA

View Full Version : Evolution email client setup

Rhizome21
February 24th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Can anyone help me set up the evolution email client for gmail. I don't quite understand it.

It doesn't ask for port numbers and stuff :S

AIM: Deathaltar47

Thank you :)

Ironi
February 24th, 2005, 04:47 AM
You shouldn't need to supply a port number. Just set it up under 'Receiving Email' like so...

Server Type: POP
Host: pop.gmail.com
Username: yourname@gmail.com
Use Secure Connection: Always

adbak
February 24th, 2005, 04:58 AM
I don't know how to set up GMail with Evolution, but there is this handy extension for FireFox called GMail Notifier (http://www.nexgenmedia.net/extensions/) that lets you know, via an icon in your status bar, when you have new gmail.

Dylanby
February 25th, 2005, 02:18 AM
You don't need to specify port settings. Just make sure you enable POP in your gmail settings ("Forwarding and POP").

ThePainter
February 25th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Hi,
Yeah I found it easy enough to set up but when I put the secure connection on, it errors saying that it isnt supported ?
I use to use Thunderbird but have changed to Evo cos I think it has a few features that are bettor than Thunderbird.

Dylanby
February 25th, 2005, 08:04 PM
I'm using Evo 2.0.2 (Warty).
For Gmail's receiving/sending settings SSL is set to "Always", "Remember password" is checked & for "Authentication" receiving is "Password" while sending is "Plain".
If your running Hoary you may be experiencing a bug of some sort.

rpjanaka
June 28th, 2007, 07:41 AM
You shouldn't need to supply a port number. Just set it up under 'Receiving Email' like so...

Server Type: POP
Host: pop.gmail.com
Username: yourname@gmail.com
Use Secure Connection: Always

i tried with this, but i was unable to get success, it says "Error while Fetching Mail.

Could not connect to pop.gmail.com: Connection timed out".

i suggest that the reason for this is the proxy settings does not set. because i can connect to our local mail server without any problem
so are there any configuration for change the proxy settings in evolution mail client..?

orange2k
June 28th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I have the same problem with Evolution (with my gmail account): it doesnt even ask me for a password, it simply hangs - "recieving mail" - and nothing happens, so I just use Opera for my e-mail...

ScottJ
August 4th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I suspect we have several versions of Evolution being talked-about on this thread.

My Evolution is v. 2.10.1, and the settings options are different from what's discussed in earlier posts.

Here's how I got Evolution working with gmali. Using the Account Editor (Edit | Preferences | Mail Accounts):

o Identity tab: fill in with your full gmail address and name

o Receiving Email tab:

Server type: select POP

Server: enter pop.gmail.com

Username: the first part of your email address (e.g., if your email address is "joeschmoe@gmail.com" you'd type "joeschmo" in this field).

Security: in "Use Secure Connection" select "SSL encryption"

Password: You'll probably want to checkmark "Remember password." There's no place to enter the password; instead Evolution will ask you for it the first time you send/receive.

o Sending Email tab:

Server type: select SMTP

Server: enter smtp.gmail.com

Checkmark "Server requires authentication"

Security: Select "SSL encryption"

Authentication: Select "Plain"

Username: See above, first part of your gmail address

Again, you'll probably want to checkmark "remember password".

You do not need to set any ports. They are implied in the connection/encryption types you've specified.

Hope this helps. It took me a few tries but this works well. I'm impressed with Evolution.

prachijpp
November 15th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Check this site,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingGmailWithEvolution

It provides you with all the settings that are required. :KS

50words
November 15th, 2007, 05:15 AM
If you need to set a specific port, it goes after the server. So if your incoming server were mail.example.com, and you needed to use port 1234, you would identify your incoming server as:

mail.example.com:1234

ecr959
November 17th, 2007, 10:41 PM
This is for ScottJ

I was just browsing this thread because I had to re-install everything on my notebook, including the evolution and settings. I also want to use it for sending gmail , I appreciate your clear instructions. Thanks.