PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot hangs after each upgrade to beta

nazz7707
January 31st, 2011, 11:01 AM
Every time I upgrade to the current beta releases (natty) the boot process hangs mostly because of nvidia desktop graphics problems.
Luckily the system is still running and remote login to console prompt works too.

Is there really no reliable way to reset the graphics (and the rest) to minimum configuration.

I am really tired of having to try all the repair options to get the desktop running again.
How can Linux ever become a reliable solution if everything takes hours to fix and not even the boot process stays the same from one version to the next.

runeh76
January 31st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Hi

I tryed quickly natty in virtual-box and i notice that there was problems with that new "unity" thing, becouse in VB i dont have 3D-drivers for my Nvidia.
Dont know is this similar problem, but just wanna say if its helps somehow...

Try this.. remove all graphics drivers before u update to next version and when its updated install newest Nvidia-driver.

Rubi1200
January 31st, 2011, 11:59 AM
@ nazz7707

you do realize that Natty is still in alpha right?

Alpha/beta = bugs

Oh, and your question would be better off asked in the correct forum:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=394

ajgreeny
January 31st, 2011, 12:03 PM
Every time I upgrade to the current beta releases (natty) the boot process hangs mostly because of nvidia desktop graphics problems.
Luckily the system is still running and remote login to console prompt works too.

Is there really no reliable way to reset the graphics (and the rest) to minimum configuration.

I am really tired of having to try all the repair options to get the desktop running again.
How can Linux ever become a reliable solution if everything takes hours to fix and not even the boot process stays the same from one version to the next.
Don't forget that you are using a beta release, or you say a beta, though I think it may still be only alpha at the moment. That means it is not yet yet meant to be used for production machines, and is still in testing; ie, it should be expected to have all sorts of bugs and problems, and keep breaking.

That is why it might be taking hours to fix. Don't jump the gun and expect everything to run as if it was a final release.

mörgæs
January 31st, 2011, 01:12 PM
Especially these days 11.04 is unstable:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1675614

It is great that people are testing the version in development, but as said above there is a special forum for this.