PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] installation problems

paradoxdevoured
January 31st, 2011, 09:26 AM
hey everyone ive been running the new ubuntu on my pc now with no problems sense its release and now i have the rest of my family trying to make the change as well but ive been running into some problems i never had so if someone could give me some help id appreciate it... my brother runs a older hp computer running windows vista 32 bit with a 220 gig hard drive with 2 gig ram, intel r core2 cpu 6300 @1.87ghz with a dvd drive and usb ports .. now i gave him the install disk i used on my computer but when trying to boot from disk it brings up only a page stating that windows has failed to load and that he can try starting windows normally same when i tried using a usb stick it never allows the disk to even open ubuntu but it will allow him to install wubu once windows has started up.. i also tried re-downloading it and making a new copy thinking that perhaps the disk was possibly damaged. i am trying to use the newest 32 bit 10.10 version ubuntu for desktop and laptop im afraid ive just run out of ideas at this point ive checked all the drives are working properly when trying to install it onto his laptop i got the exact same page, im not sure if perhaps i should try partitioning the hard drive first with gparted or if that would even make a difference meaning its not booting from the disk at all and sense ubuntu can do all of that itself ive tried letting it boot from disk itself and manually from the boot menu still nothing if anyone can help me out id really appreciate it im not trying to run duel os just a fresh clean install

Elfy
January 31st, 2011, 09:30 AM
from disk it brings up only a page stating that windows has failed to load would imply it's not been set to boot from cd first ...

next post could you try and put a bit of white space in - paragraphs make it a lot easier to read :)

EthioJOB
January 31st, 2011, 10:03 AM
When boot your PC, enter Boot menu. if you don't know which button to press then quickly scan the screen as soon as you boot before the Operating system loads and look for something that says boot menu and the corresponding key. Press that key. Once you entered you'll be given an option to choose which drive to boot from. Choose the CD drive option or something similar to it. (note that BIOS setups will differ from PC to PC).

Hope this helps.

paradoxdevoured
January 31st, 2011, 10:37 AM
thank you for your advise about paragraph spacing i will do that next time.
i double checked the first boot devise and it was set for cd/dvd dive as the first boot devise and usb devices as second third was the hard drive so unfortunately thats not it.