PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install Python 3 with Python 2

seandude
January 30th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I'm taking a class that requires us to use Python 3, but I'd like to not have all my applications in Python 2 to break. Is there any way to install Python 3.1.3 so that it won't overwrite the older version?

Queue29
January 30th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Yea, just do:

sudo apt-get install python3

Ubuntu deliberately packages python3 in such a way it won't interfere with python2.

To run your programs, you'll type "python3" at the command line instead of just "python".

seandude
January 30th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Yea, just do:

sudo apt-get install python3

Ubuntu deliberately packages python3 in such a way it won't interfere with python2.

To run your programs, you'll type "python3" at the command line instead of just "python".

Wow, thank you. I really didn't expect it to be nearly that easy. Frankly I was expecting to have to build it from source and redirect that outputs into uniquely named directories. This really makes life a hell of a lot more convenient.

Vox754
January 31st, 2011, 03:45 AM
Wow, thank you. I really didn't expect it to be nearly that easy. Frankly I was expecting to have to build it from source and redirect that outputs into uniquely named directories. This really makes life a hell of a lot more convenient.

That was the case some distributions ago, but now Python 3 is finally packaged, so it should be easier to test Python 2 and 3 without users breaking their systems.

Always look for packaged software first.

However, remember that the default Python is still version 2, don't do anything crazy like arbitrarily changing the symbolic links to redirect the default Python, as other modules have not been ported yet to version 3.