PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Weird On-Screen Shadow - Any Ideas?

ytene
January 30th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Here's an odd one...

Using ubuntu 10.10/AMD64, I have also loaded the KDE libraries to create a machine with dual WM options and typically boot into KDE. Worked OK for a week after the build, and then one day I got this weird rectangular outline shadow appearing in the top left corner of the left (main) window of a dual-windowed system...

Here's a link to a screen scrape taken using Ksnapshot.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5169/20110130oddshadow.png

To get dual-monitor support I am using the proprietary nVidia drivers and you can see I have left the wallpaper of the auxiliary monitor as a picture so you can see the extent of the artifact.

My main monitor resolution is 1920x1200 and my aux monitor is 1600x1200.

Not being very experienced with KDE, I know enough to know that many weird problems like this can be overcome by "resetting" my KDE profile. I duly logged in to GNOME, deleted the entire contents of my .kde subfolder in my home directory, and during the next KDE login, the shadow was gone (hurrah).

It came right back, and I have no idea why... I have used this hardware configuration for quite a while, and did not experience this with 9.04.

Happy to experiment and report back if anyone has any ideas and would care to post suggestions.

Thanks and Regards...