PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome desktop won't start

caribedude
January 30th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Hi, I've recently updated to Ubuntu 10.10 and have run into some strange problems. When I logged in for the first time, my windows lacked tool bars (the X to close, minimize, etc), this wasn't the first time this happened so I just finished what I had to do then used compiz to fix the problem. When I changed the settings, they didn't take effect and the computer started freezing and going slower so I rebooted. When I rebooted the usual login screen appeared and when I entered my username and password the Ubuntu login sound could be heard and I got a brief flash of my desktop background. That was all I could see before the screen turned black, showed some cryptic error messages (too fast to read) and sent me to the login screen again. After a couple of tries I managed to login, but there was no visible taskbar (it showed up when I clicked where the taskbar was supposed to be) and when I opened firefox the screen turned black and I got sent to the login screen again.
After that, I logged in using the terminal ran "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" and "sudo apt-get install gnome-main-menu" but nothing happened. I used the stop gdm/startgdm trick but nothing happened either. The only thing that managed to do something was the "startx" command. It showed some error messages (basically display 0 was in use by something; I don't know what) so I ran "sudo startx -- :1" to switch the x server. This made login as the root user. Everything there worked perfectly. I tried logging in with failsafe-gnome and it also worked. This leads me to believe the problem has something to do with some configuration I have on gnome. Any sugestions, tips or ideas are welcome.