PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04.1 LiveCD boot problem

tangofoxtrot
January 30th, 2011, 03:42 AM
I downloaded the ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS desktop 386 iso, verified it with md5sum and burned a CD. I put the CD in a Dell 4550 and ran the CD defects detector without a problem. When I try to boot up in live CD mode, the progress indicator freezes at about 20 secs or so. I can boot an old ubuntu 8.04 live CD on the 4550 without a problem.

I have two other Dell machines: a Dell 4600 and a Dell 8400. The Ubuntu 10.04.1 liveCD boot freezes on the 4600, but comes up without a problem on the 8400.

I looked at the BIOS setup on all three machines and they all seem to have essentially the same settings allowing that the machines are different ages.

Anyone have any ideas?

wilee-nilee
January 30th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Might be a graphic driver or other problem. At the menu showning try install, test cd etc hit f6 and try nomodeset hit crtlx-x to boot, might be one of the others in the popup with f6.

akakwangkyu
January 30th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I agree with wilee-nilee. I had a similar problem with an HP and found the graphics card was the problem.

You have two Dell machines with PCI slots. This makes an easy decision to swap graphics cards from one machine to another. Just make sure one machine DOES NOT have a different slot, lets say AGP, than the other machine.

-akakwangkyu