PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04LTS maintenance upgrade

jivabill
January 30th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I see that there is a maintenance upgrade for 10.04LTS. It is available from Ubuntu as a download which it appears would be for doing a fresh install. 10.04.1

On a Linux site I found instructions for doing an upgrade to 10.04.1 using Update Manager. This did not do anything, that is it did not work.

Is there some way to upgrade to 10.04.1 ?

snowpine
January 30th, 2011, 03:31 AM
If you have applied updates regularly, then you don't need to do anything. The "point release" CDs are issued as a convenience so that new users don't have to install hundreds of updates immediately after install. :)

SaintDanBert
January 30th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Before I found a way to tinker install the maintenance update, I'd try to sort out why update-manager didn't seem to work.

Within update-manager there are settings that control which updates you want to consider. You might have them too restrictive or otherwise set incorrectly. I got "10.04.1" without any trouble. My update-manager says:

Ubuntu Updates

[x]Security (lucid-security)
[x]Recommended (lucid-updates)
[x]Pre-release (lucid-proposed)
[ ]Unsupported (lucid-backports)

Release Upgrade
Show new distribution releases: normal releases

Bonne chance,
~~~ 0;-Dan

jivabill
January 30th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Hi Folks, and thank you for the helpful responses.

Snowpine: I have been doing the updates as they come. I may have my update manager set to restrictive see below. I had it set to receive only 10.04LTS distribution updates. I have changed it to "Normal" now. And right now, when I look at System Monitor it just shows my system as 10.04LTS. I assume that means that the 10.04.1 was not received or applied.

SaintDanBert: OK, I had my Updates section set to get Security and Recommended but I did not have Pre-Release marked.
I did try marking it and then checking for updates but in the list I did not see the 10.04.1 update. Perhaps I better look at that again. Perhaps I missed it.

Thanks again, I'll try these suggestions.
bill

jivabill
January 30th, 2011, 04:10 AM
So I changed the settings for Update Manager so that Pre-Released updates would be shown. I have 28 a total of 108.5 mb. I am reluctant to install those because I am not sure what "Pre-Release" means and the consequences of using them.

BTW I did not see any upgrade for 10.04.1.
bill

kansasnoob
January 30th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Hi Folks, and thank you for the helpful responses.

Snowpine: I have been doing the updates as they come. I may have my update manager set to restrictive see below. I had it set to receive only 10.04LTS distribution updates. I have changed it to "Normal" now. And right now, when I look at System Monitor it just shows my system as 10.04LTS. I assume that means that the 10.04.1 was not received or applied.

SaintDanBert: OK, I had my Updates section set to get Security and Recommended but I did not have Pre-Release marked.
I did try marking it and then checking for updates but in the list I did not see the 10.04.1 update. Perhaps I better look at that again. Perhaps I missed it.

Thanks again, I'll try these suggestions.
bill

Be careful! That will likely now offer you the ability to upgrade to 10.10!

There is no specific "upgrade" from 10.04 to 10.04.1, in fact 10.04.2 will be released in a couple of weeks. The ".1", ".2", etc. are just point releases. All LTS versions get 4 point releases, meaning the Live CD is updated after testing so a fresh install won't need hundreds of updates.

kansasnoob
January 30th, 2011, 04:20 AM
So I changed the settings for Update Manager so that Pre-Released updates would be shown. I have 28 a total of 108.5 mb. I am reluctant to install those because I am not sure what "Pre-Release" means and the consequences of using them.

BTW I did not see any upgrade for 10.04.1.
bill

Proposed updates are just that, "proposed". They've not yet passed all levels of testing!

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuUpdates

jivabill
January 30th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Hi Kansasnoob, nice to meet you.
OK that is just the info that I needed to know. So I think I can do without seeing the "pre-release" updates. I was afraid that they would not have finished all testing.

And yes, when I changed my Update Manager settings for distribution updates to "Normal" from my original setting of "Long term release" then the Update Manager screen showed the 10.10 upgrade.

I am not anxious to try that, with the 8 series (8.04LTS and further on) I found that sticking with the LTS release was what I wanted to do.

Thanks for the good tips
bill

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 30th, 2011, 05:29 PM
If you type this in the terminal it will show you what you have
cat /etc/*release
The output from the command should be something like this:

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS"

jivabill
January 30th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Hi Gray Wolf, nice to meet you also.

Thank you for the Terminal Window tip. I'll check it out. Nice avatar you have.
bill

jivabill
January 30th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Tried Gray Wolf's Terminal command. Here is the output:

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid

So it appears my system already has the maintenance upgrade. All is well re that upgrade.
thanks to all
bill

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 30th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Hi Gray Wolf, nice to meet you also. Nice to meet you as well.

Thank you for the Terminal Window tip. I'll check it out. Nice avatar you have.
bill

The System Monitor window shows you the following info; however, in a different format:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid

The System Monitor window doesn't show you the following info at all:

If you use the menu "System > About Ubuntu" you will get different results as well. People are reporting that Ubuntu 10.10 is showing Ubuntu 11.04 in the "System > About Ubuntu" menu. There is a bug report on it. haha :)