PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Odd failure to install.

SeanJameson
January 29th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Hi all, today I finally took the plunge and decided to kick out vista in favour of ubuntu, as I was installing, using the ubuntu 10.10 from the ubuntu website, everything was jammy if very slow, until I suddenly ran out of disk space, on my new 250gb HD. It turned out a file called (if i remember right) installation.iso, was 174gb.

Now I initially downloaded 639mb and I don't know how such a thing can happen but it did, and I wasn't able to finish installation so I scrapped it.

I really need to switch from vista, its far more of a hindrance than a help. I can't update due to an obscure error microsoft don't seem able to help me with, the same error prevents me from downloading any service packs or updates, and seems to prevent all sorts of applications from functioning as they should.

Please advise as to how I can install ubuntu and definitely not have this weird thing go wrong again.

Many thanks

ajgreeny
January 30th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Check the iso file you downloaded for a start, and if the md5sum for that matches the listing on the download site, burn it again at a slow speed, then check the CD before you start to install. Just hit enter as it starts to boot, choose language, hit enter again, then choose Check install media/CD/USB or whatever it says; I can't remember the exact wording.

PS: 639MB is not the correct size, so that is probably the reason it will not work as it should. Was that a typo, 639 instead of 693?