PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need to set Natty machine to accept remote desktop connections.

OneMixDJ
January 29th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Greetings all,

After digging around, I remain stumped in a way.

I'm trying to set a laptop running Natty to accept remote connections (VNC).

I've tried everything, including command line entries to open 5800 & 5900; but no dice.

In earlier versions (i.e Hardy), you used to be able to go to Preferences to set Accept Remote Desktop Connections.
However, there doesn't seem to be a similar option in Natty.

If someone can shed light, it would be most appreciated.

Mind you, I can remote out; just can't remote in. :confused:

Thanks all!

HereInOz
January 30th, 2011, 12:13 AM
You could try NX

http://www.nomachine.com/

Sets up a server on the machine to which you want to connect, but you do have to have a client installed on the machine from which you want to connect. Clients are available for Windows and Linux.

Much more betterer that VNC, and it is a SSL connection. You will need OpenSSL server on the host machine as well.

OneMixDJ
February 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
You could try NX

http://www.nomachine.com/

Sets up a server on the machine to which you want to connect, but you do have to have a client installed on the machine from which you want to connect. Clients are available for Windows and Linux.

Much more betterer that VNC, and it is a SSL connection. You will need OpenSSL server on the host machine as well.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner; I will try this.
Many thanks!

:)

craig-hansen
September 28th, 2011, 08:03 PM
The "Remote Desktop" panel is still accessible under the "System Settings" application in Natty. From the "Ubuntu" icon in the left corner, select "Applications" (looks like a + sign in a circle), search for "settings" and choose "System Settings." From the app, you can start the "Remote Desktop" panel and set the options as appropriate.

Greetings all,

After digging around, I remain stumped in a way.

I'm trying to set a laptop running Natty to accept remote connections (VNC).

I've tried everything, including command line entries to open 5800 & 5900; but no dice.

In earlier versions (i.e Hardy), you used to be able to go to Preferences to set Accept Remote Desktop Connections.
However, there doesn't seem to be a similar option in Natty.

If someone can shed light, it would be most appreciated.

Mind you, I can remote out; just can't remote in. :confused:

Thanks all!

craig-hansen
September 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
...or access the "System Settings" menu item under the "Power" icon the in the upper right corner.