PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Sunflower File Manager tgz.....not happening

Splat_NJ
January 29th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I d/l the Sunflower File Manager tgz file to install into Ubuntu. I already have the Build-Essential package installed. When I go to the directory I extracted the Sunflower's tgz files to and type in a shell "./configure" I get an error: "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory" Well, yes... looking into the Sunflower directory there is no such file or subfolder there. Now I admit I'm not an Ubuntu expert but IIRC I've done a few tgz installs like this and they went fine. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks.

oldos2er
January 30th, 2011, 02:45 AM
It's a Python app. In a terminal, "cd" to the Sunflower folder, and run python ./Sunflower.py

Splat_NJ
January 30th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Thank you, Ann. I'll give this a shot. BTW, I'm also an old DOS person, myself. :)

Splat_NJ
January 30th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Well Ann, it worked, but I get this error upon executing:

WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'WnckWindowMoveResizeMask' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

I think I'll stick with Nautilus for now. I really wanted something with dual panes, but how hard is it to hit F3 for the extra pane anyway..? :) Thanks again.

oldos2er
January 30th, 2011, 09:19 PM
There is Gnome Commander, a two-pane file manager that's available in the repositories.
sudo apt-get install gnome-commander

MeanEYE
February 9th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Well Ann, it worked, but I get this error upon executing:

WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'WnckWindowMoveResizeMask' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

I think I'll stick with Nautilus for now. I really wanted something with dual panes, but how hard is it to hit F3 for the extra pane anyway..? :) Thanks again.

Hi there Splat_NJ. Warnings you get when running Sunflower from terminal are actually not the problems within program itself. I am not sure why this is happening and it bothers me as much as it does you. If you start any other program you'll see a number of others warnings regarding menus and similar stuff. In my opinion these warnings are generated in python bindings.

You shouldn't worry about this though as program works as expected. Sorry you didn't find it useful and program is still in early alpha stage. I am however pushing a new version each Sunday so if you have any features you'd like to have just let me know and I'll make something happen.

Thanks again for trying! :)

Splat_NJ
February 10th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Thanks MeanEye. I think I'll try it out again then. Thanks for creating the program.

MeanEYE
February 13th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks MeanEye. I think I'll try it out again then. Thanks for creating the program.

You are most welcome. Am just glad there are people interested in it. If you need help, please let me know. :)

chevy57
June 5th, 2011, 04:37 AM
I have the problem that the program does not start after I upgraded from Sunflower-0.1a-27 to Sunflower-0.1a-28.:(
When I downgrade, it works again.
I have this error in terminal
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trying with python2.7...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./application/main.py", line 28, in <module>
app = MainWindow()
File "/home/zillen/Sunflower-0.1a-28/application/gui/main_window.py", line 101, in __init__
self._version_specific_actions()
File "/home/zillen/Sunflower-0.1a-28/application/gui/main_window.py", line 1237, in _version_specific_actions
change_log = ChangeLogDialog(self, vbox, not mod_count == 0)
File "/home/zillen/Sunflower-0.1a-28/application/gui/changelog_dialog.py", line 121, in __init__
frame.add(hbox1)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'hbox1' referenced before assignment
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
someone who can help me get a very good program running again

I solved the problem by deleting the folder ~. / config / sunflower, can also be put on ~. / sunflower. Then started the program as it should.

MeanEYE
March 6th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I have the problem that the program does not start after I upgraded from Sunflower-0.1a-27 to Sunflower-0.1a-28.:(
When I downgrade, it works again.
I have this error in terminal
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trying with python2.7...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./application/main.py", line 28, in <module>
app = MainWindow()
File "/home/zillen/Sunflower-0.1a-28/application/gui/main_window.py", line 101, in __init__
self._version_specific_actions()
File "/home/zillen/Sunflower-0.1a-28/application/gui/main_window.py", line 1237, in _version_specific_actions
change_log = ChangeLogDialog(self, vbox, not mod_count == 0)
File "/home/zillen/Sunflower-0.1a-28/application/gui/changelog_dialog.py", line 121, in __init__
frame.add(hbox1)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'hbox1' referenced before assignment
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
someone who can help me get a very good program running again

I solved the problem by deleting the folder ~. / config / sunflower, can also be put on ~. / sunflower. Then started the program as it should.
Sorry for not replying earlier. This thread somehow got away from me. :)
You can always find some more help with Sunflower on our projects page over at code.google.com/p/sunflower-fm or #sunflower at irc.ubuntu.com

Cheers!

Splat_NJ
March 6th, 2012, 05:08 AM
No problem, Meaneye. Just wanted to thank you for replying, however I've went back to the dark side. I got tired of trying everything I read/heard to get the video and audio playback smooth on my Ubuntu install but could never get it. Always stuttering with video playback and can't open more than 1-2 windows without stuttering.... I had it. Maybe in another year or less I'll try Ubuntu or some other build again but it's a shame. I liked it but ... maybe another time. Thanks again anyway.