PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I Uninstall Ubuntu but Keep "Grub"

Wejdan
January 29th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hi,

Can I uninstall Ubuntu but keep grub??

the reason is that I have Ubuntu, Ubuntu Studio & Windows Vista .. so I want to keep vista, ubuntu studio and add the partition volume that currently has Ubuntu to Ubuntu Studio Partition but I'm concerned about "Grub"

thank you :)

mikewhatever
January 29th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Yes, as long as you have a Linux partition, in fact, a /boot partition, grub can be used. You'll probably need to reinstall grub after removing the Ubuntu partition, which is fairly easy, just make sure you have a live cd/usb ready.

Wejdan
January 29th, 2011, 02:25 PM
well, how do I unistall it?
is deleting the partition enough?
+
about the live CD/USB, ... I've googled that, didn't find a CD for Grub, would you plz explain a bit more...

p.s. im so worried cuz I removed linux partition before and got Grub removed too, I couldn;t fixed by any means, an so I had to reinstall ubuntu, then reinstall vista to have my notebook work as it used to

mikewhatever
January 29th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Yep, deleting the partition is as far as it gets, as for the live cd, I meant the one with *buntu, presumably of the same version you want to keep. Reinstalling Grub is easy (see how (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20from%20LiveCD)), and if you ever face the situation of reinstalling everything just because of the bootloader, post here, using the live cd.

Wejdan
January 30th, 2011, 09:34 AM
here is the issue

Open a terminal by selecting Applications, Accessories, Terminal from the menu barhow would I do that if i cant log into the system?
unless i should've done that before shutting down?

mikewhatever
January 30th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Reinstalling grub is done from the live cd.