PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Missing gconf-editor options

aaaa1
January 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I was trying to make Gnome display the date in a better format. I tried using gconf-editor as described in the thread at http://www1.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9095307, but I also found that apps > panel> default_setup > applets > clock had no prefs item.

Unfortunately, the solution which worked for quixote (stop running as root) didn't help me as I was running as the only account I've set up on the system, and all of the files in ~/.gconf are owned by that user.

Does anyone know what else could cause options to vanish like that? I'm running Gnome 2.32.0. Thanks.

gmargo
January 29th, 2011, 07:41 PM
The custom_format option only shows up in the instantiated clock applet preferences.

Open the gconf-editor and navigate to /apps/panel/applets/clock_screen0/prefs.

Here you can set the "custom_format" string. Also change the "format" value to "custom". I just tested it using "%H:%M:%S" as the custom_format. I had to enable "show_seconds" to get the time to update every second.

aaaa1
January 30th, 2011, 01:15 AM
The custom_format option only shows up in the instantiated clock applet preferences.

Open the gconf-editor and navigate to /apps/panel/applets/clock_screen0/prefs.
There is no /apps/panel/applets when I open gconf-editor, only default_setup, general and global.

gmargo
January 30th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Are you running the gnome clock applet? Or perhaps something else?

aaaa1
January 30th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Are you running the gnome clock applet? Or perhaps something else?
I have the clock on the top panel which came with Ubuntu, which is more or less as described in gnome-help except that it doesn't have a preferences option.

Krytarik
January 30th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I hope you don't launch gconf-editor as root! Just press Alt+F2 and enter "gconf-editor".

aaaa1
January 30th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I hope you don't launch gconf-editor as root! Just press Alt+F2 and enter "gconf-editor".
Should I be worried that Alt+F2 does nothing?
In actual fact, I've been running gconf-editor from a terminal window (which was either started from the "applications" thing or from another screen with xterm -display :0) using the command "gconf-editor" (or /usr/bin/gconf-editor, I suppose).

Krytarik
January 31st, 2011, 02:24 AM
But you do Gnome and Gnome Panels running? Right-click at one of your panels, then at "About". Or are you actually running Unity/Netbook Edition?

aaaa1
January 31st, 2011, 04:56 AM
But you do Gnome and Gnome Panels running? Right-click at one of your panels, then at "About". Or are you actually running Unity/Netbook Edition?
Sorry, I realise that it was. I've switched to the "desktop" interface and more stuff now works. Thanks for your assistance.

poisonborz
October 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM
because this thread turns up in google prominently for the problem, here is another possible error:
one must run gconf-editor without sudo, otherwise the desired pref keys will not appear.

Krytarik
October 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
here is another possible error:
one must run gconf-editor without sudo, otherwise the desired pref keys will not appear.
Yeah, as I already pointed to in post #6. ;-)