PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Live CD crash

ogre722
January 28th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I am getting a very strange crash whenever I try to boot from the live CD. I boot from the CD, and the disk's loading animation begins. After a few minutes the animation freezes and the screen fills with a scrambled image of my desktop from right before I restarted my computer. My assumption is that this has something to do with my video card, a PNY 240gt. I put this card in recently and I had no problems running the live cd with my old hardware configuration. Does anyone know of this issue and/or how to fix it?

My specs:

PNY 240gt 512mb
q6600 Intel quad core 2.44ghz
4gb ram
Asus P5K SE Deluxe motherboard

jrrech
February 1st, 2011, 08:30 PM
I'm getting the exact same crash when trying to boot the livecd, though this happened after I messed up the MBR trying to erase a previous Debian Lenny installation. Any help is appreciated.

grahammechanical
February 1st, 2011, 09:08 PM
The live CD runs in memory, if I understand things correctly. You are seeing an image of the desktop as it was before you restarted to load from the CD. Am I correct? It could be a problem with RAM memory. Did you restart or shutdown and then switch on? It should not make any difference but I like to leave a few seconds before restarting the computer. It is just the way I do things based on what I did with my very old machine. I am not saying that it is the answer.

Regards.