PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu stuck at Computer Name screen after updates

jasoncal
January 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hi,
I am new to Ubuntu and I am running v10.10 through VMPlayer on Windows 7. I wanted to run the updates through the Update Manager. After downloading them and installing them, my VM rebooted and has not worked properly ever since.

When it boots now I get a screen which has my computer name "jason-virtual-machine" and its just frozen there. I tried the "recovery mode" but that does not boot up either.

What happened and what can I do to fix this??

Thanks in advance!
Jason

dino99
January 28th, 2011, 06:26 PM
you might post into the subforum "virtualization" for better and quicker help.

here is a howto to make a real install (instead of virtual)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

jasoncal
January 28th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Hi Dino,
I looked at your link you sent, but I am not sure it applies to my situation. I have installed Ubuntu on a VM without any issues and had no problems using it until I used the Update Manager. I don't have a dual boot set up on the VM either. Not sure how this applies unless you are saying the updates require specific partition to be made??

Please clarify.

Thank you,
Jason

jasoncal
January 31st, 2011, 07:31 PM
Anyone else can you give any advice?

wojox
January 31st, 2011, 07:35 PM
What got updated?

jasoncal
January 31st, 2011, 07:41 PM
I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10. I ran the Update Manager for the first time. During the installation of 10.10 I did not click the option to do automatic installs. So again this was the first time I was doing any updates.

jasoncal
February 1st, 2011, 05:59 PM
Not sure what I did wrong nor how to even fix it.

wojox
February 1st, 2011, 08:50 PM
Not sure what I did wrong nor how to even fix it.

Are you sure you gave it enough space for when you updated? Why don't you create a new VM and install through the command line if you think it was Update Manager's fault.

p0opap0o
October 28th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Has anyone found a solution to this issue?
Not sure what updates were installed due to this being my wife's laptop but now I'm getting this same issue with the black screen and computer name in the middle. Im running 11.04 on a acer netbook.
Thank you,
-AW