PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] XP and memory problem

dlcol
January 28th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I am running XP service pack 2 on an HP laptop with 547 mhz , 256 RAM, and 4.37 GB. My existing disk space is about 10mb. I want to install 10.10 .

Problem is how to install with such low space.

Should I wipe out XP (if so, How). Otherwise how else will I get the necessary space to install UBUNTU.

When I do try I ned to wipe out GNOME applets, and then I am being asked for login info, which I have not supplied. Authentication fails.

Help

presence1960
January 28th, 2011, 02:42 AM
I am running XP service pack 2 on an HP laptop with 547 mhz , 256 RAM, and 4.37 GB. My existing disk space is about 10mb. I want to install 10.10 .

Problem is how to install with such low space.

Should I wipe out XP (if so, How). Otherwise how else will I get the necessary space to install UBUNTU.

When I do try I ned to wipe out GNOME applets, and then I am being asked for login info, which I have not supplied. Authentication fails.

Help
That disk 4.37 GB is definitely not enough for a dual boot setup. In reality that is barely just enough for 1 OS.

You may need the alternate text based installer (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate) with only 256 MB RAM. See here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements) for ubuntu requirements.

You probably are going to have to choose either ubuntu or XP.

dlcol
January 28th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Yes, I agree. I want to end up with only the Ubuntu. I just do not know if I can uninstall the XP and then be left without an OS

grahammechanical
January 28th, 2011, 02:46 AM
You should look at Xubuntu. If you install with the instruction to use the whole disc then the installation will wipe out the XP installation because the disc will be formated to a different file format than the one used by Microsoft.

Regards.

presence1960
January 28th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Yes, I agree. I want to end up with only the Ubuntu. I just do not know if I can uninstall the XP and then be left without an OS

I edited my original post to include more info. When you install ubuntu select use entire disk. it will format the disk and use the entire disk for ubuntu.

dlcol
January 28th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I am having a problem expressing myself. Either program requests 2 to 3 free GB. I do not have any free memory. just 10MB. Do you mean that I must have it available before installing the new OS. I am happy to lose the XP once the new OS is installed. However if I must uninstall the XP before installing the new OS, am I safe? Will the new OS install without XP on board.

presence1960
January 28th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I am having a problem expressing myself. Either program requests 2 to 3 free GB. I do not have any free memory. just 10MB. Do you mean that I must have it available before installing the new OS. I am happy to lose the XP once the new OS is installed. However if I must uninstall the XP before installing the new OS, am I safe? Will the new OS install without XP on board.

Just so you know what you are describing is not "memory". It is disk space, of which only 10 MB is free or available on your hard disk. You have 256 MB of "memory" otherwise known as RAM.

When you install Ubuntu choose "use entire disk". This will format (erase) your disk and install ubuntu to use the entire disk. Ubuntu is an Operating System , it does not require any thing else, but can coexist with other Operating Systems. In your case you do not have enough disk space on your hard disk to have more than one Operating System.

dlcol
January 28th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Yes, thank you for your reply.

I will try the Xubuntu, as it may install easier than the Ubuntu.

Thanks for now

presence1960
January 28th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I would download the text based alternate installer (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate) as you do not have enough memory (256 MB) to run the Live Cd successfully. It may not install correctly, if it will run at all.

dlcol
January 28th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I have installed the Xubuntu alternate installer and I am up and running. My next problem is that I am not getting any sound from the internet radio stations. Any ideas.

oldos2er
January 28th, 2011, 06:38 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

dlcol
January 30th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Dear Ann, Thx for taking the time to help.

I tried all the fixes you mentioned but still no sound. I can not get Shoutcast to operate in Exaile. I really can not get any streaming radio stations. I do get sound when I play a CD, so my machine still works. In XP I did not have any problem. So it is a software problem, I think I have tried Firefox but no sound there either.