PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB doesnt start?

freshmeat20
January 28th, 2011, 12:45 AM
So i have a fresh install of ubuntu 10.10 and GRUB just wont boot. it just flashes an underscore for a little while and just boots up ubuntu without a selection screen at all. I commented out the hiddenmenu line and put the timeout on 30 secs but nothing. any ideas?

presence1960
January 28th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose "try ubuntu without any changes", when the desktop loads come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script. There is a link in my signature.
2. Once downloaded move the boot info script to the desktop.
3. Open a terminal and run the command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

See here (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) for more info on the boot info script.

sikander3786
January 28th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I would also request to post the output of this command from Applications > Accessories > Terminal:

cat /etc/default/grub

Rubi1200
January 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Just to add my voice to the mix of great advice given so far; what graphics card do you have installed?

If you are seeing the underscore AFTER Ubuntu is supposed to boot, then it may indicate a graphics issue.