PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu eagle scout project

Antarctica32
January 27th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I'm a life scout working on my eagle project and I have a great idea. There are a lot of poor communities that have no computers where I live along with several schools without networks. Over the summer someone gave me a dell dimension 8300 with lucid on it and told me of the junkyard they got it from. I called the junkyard and asked if they still had some usable computers or some I would only need to fix up a little. I got an answer saying they do. I plan to put ubuntu on these and distribute them to schools, churches, and families who don't already have a PC. My only question is, what ubuntu distro do I install? Should I just put 10.10 or 10.04 on um?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

JRV
January 27th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I would go with 10.04, I like to stay with the long term support versions.

Joe of loath
January 27th, 2011, 10:24 PM
10.04. If it goes to someone with no technical know how, they won't know how to upgrade, and 3 years support is better than 18 months.

Althought, mint is eaier to use for a newcomer to Linux, maybe go with that. Linux Mint Debian Edition is a rolling release, so it will never need upgrading.

Antarctica32
January 28th, 2011, 02:47 PM
yeah I will probably stick with lucid. I have the most experiance with that one being as I took a week long computers merit badge using it. Do you think I should give everyone a ubuntu CD along with their computer? I was also thinking about writing a 1 page "start up guide" a lot shorter and more strait forward then the 400-600 page one.