PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Package aptitude has no installation candidate

bobnw
January 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I am trying to install Webmin on a VPS server. I am using and identical version of Ubuntu on my laptop. Both systems use Ubuntu 10.04 on AMD64, but I am using SSH only for the VPS system, and Gnome on the laptop. When I tried to install Webmin using the Webmin web site instructions I hit a dead end of "Package libnet-ssleay-perl has no installation candidate.

I had already installed Webmin on the laptop using a method from another post on the Ubuntu forems. It used the following command to install the dependices:

# aptitude -y install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime
libio-pty-perl libmd5-perl apt-show-versions libapt-pkg-per

When I enter this command on the VPS system I got "aptitude command not found ", and when I try
# apt-get install aptitude I get

# Package aptitude has no installation candidate

I tried # apt-get udate, and then # apt-get upgrade and then #apt-get install aptitude, as suggested in another post, but this did not help.

I copied /etc/apt/source.list from the laptop to the VPS, but still get the same error, no installation candidate for aptitude.

There must be a way to set up Webmin on the VPS because it works the exact same system on the laptop.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.