PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] install from os?

ulao
January 27th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Can I install umbuntu while umbuntu is installed? I have the cd in but have no clue how to run the installer?

If I run the sh I get can not upgrade from lucid to natty. But my real problem is I have put the 64 bit on my system and I wan the 32 bit. I have to rearrange a lot of drive to install so I was hoping for a install in the os.

Kirboosy
January 27th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Shouldn't it be Ubuntu...unless its a another version I've never heard of.

What are you trying to do?

Trying to update off CD?

Details on your computer and what you are trying to do would be helpful

~Caboose

ulao
January 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Shouldn't it be Ubuntu...unless its a another version I've never heard of. Another version ? really?

What are you trying to do?

As I said above.
my real problem is I have put the 64 bit on my system and I wan the 32 bit. I have to rearrange a lot of drive to install so I was hoping for a install in the os.

Trying to update off CD? If that is possible yes.

Details on your computer and what you are trying to do would be helpfulWhat sort of detail about the system do you need? Are you just criticizing my post? I'm a bit confused as to why that would help.
The system is pretty much plane, everything is on the MB ( tyan ) and I have a amd chip.

Kirboosy
January 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Another version ? really?

I was just correcting your spelling.

You will have to fully wipe out and reinstall everything. Since you are changing architectures its impossible to just roll back. If you had 32 bit and wanted to go to 64 bit you would still have to reinstall.

You could always dual boot a 32 bit and a 64 bit version.

Is there anything wrong with 64 bit?

ulao
January 27th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I was just correcting your spelling.

Yeah I get that, but it was hardly polite.

Thx for replying, I figure it was a wash.

Is there anything wrong with 64 bit? Well first I here nothing but bad things about it. Personally I'd like to think there is nothing wrong with it and I'm going to stick with it. Here is my current problem and I understand its not related to this topic, but maybe you can help point me in the right direction.

I'm running an executable and nothing happens. Now, I'm not new new to linux, and have been using m$ junk for a long time. So when I say nothing, I actually mean it. No hour glass, no error, no sign of life. How do you go after something like that?

The first thing I did was downloaded the 64 bit version of the software figuring that was it. The 64 bit version does the same thing. My next approach was to put a 32 bit os. Wiping is not an option to me so I'd like to make this work.

Any ideas?

Kirboosy
January 27th, 2011, 04:16 PM
You should be able to see the outputs in a terminal when you try and run it. You might have to chmod the file.

What exactly are you trying to run?

by the way I wasn't trying to be mean I just wanted you to know you were spelling Ubuntu wrong. Then I thought about it and I thought someone might of made a version of Ubuntu called Umbuntu.

ulao
January 27th, 2011, 04:22 PM
LOL you have a funny way of showing that ;) I know how to spell Umbuntu I was just typing fast and did a copy and paste. I'm trying to run an emulator mupen64plus.

Running from the console did help ( I see what I;m missing ) thx!

Kirboosy
January 27th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Ah Mupen...I used to play that all the time during weekends in college. I even had a the usb to controller adapters so I could have real N64 controllers. :D (I'm a nerd. haha)

Is there anything else I can help you with before you mark this thread as solved? ;)

ulao
January 27th, 2011, 04:59 PM
LOL you think you're a nerd, I make them!

http://spawnlinux.dyndns.org/Bliss-Box/

Thus the reason I'm try to test them on linux.

Is there anything else I can help you with before you mark this thread as solved? MY bad, did it for you