PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Annoying behaviour - new window keeps jumping in front of current window

AbsolutIggy
January 27th, 2011, 02:18 PM
This is something which has been annoying me for a long time, and not only on Ubuntu, Windows has the same behaviour often..

If I, while working in one program, want to open another, such as browser, I click its icon in my toolbar, or open it in the programs menu.

Usually, the programs take a short while to open - while they are loading, I usually want to keep working in the program I was in. But, the new program often jumps in front - while I'm typing, which is annoying. So I switch back, and resume typing. Then the window comes back. It does this repeatedly, which is extremely annoying.

Of course, when I'm not working, the program should preferably load in front of the other windows. I assume the behaviour could be controlled by the window manager - or am I wrong?

Krytarik
January 28th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Yeah, you can adjust such things by using the "Window Rules" plugin of Compiz, "System -> Preferences -> CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Window Management", and the focus settings in its "General Options".

Those window matching guide may be handy for the first mentioned one:
http://wiki.compiz.org/WindowMatching

AbsolutIggy
January 28th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks Krytarik,

that does seem to be the setting I am looking for. However, I can't get it to work (without reading up too much). I will have to give it another try when I have more time!

AbsolutIggy
May 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I know it's a while since I asked last.. but I still haven't found a good solution to this problem.

I've set the 'Focus Prevention Level' in the general compiz options to off and to very high, and it does not make a difference... new windows keep stealing my focus either way.

Anybody know how I prevent this from happening?