PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GRUB - Cannot start Win XP after installation of UBUNTU 10.10

Strolchi
January 26th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Hello,
after I finally successfully installed ubuntu, I cannot start Windows from the GRUB start menue.

Since I am an absolute beginner, please please, help.

BR

Strolchi

Quackers
January 26th, 2011, 09:05 PM
When booting do you get a grub menu, or does Ubuntu boot up directly?
Have you run
sudo update-grub from the terminal, in Ubuntu?

Strolchi
January 26th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks for that ultrafast reply,

I get a full normal menue, when i select win, ubuntu is loaded. Probably I should mention that after installation a system update was installed (from .22 to 24), but in my opp. that should have nothing to do with grub.
Sorry for my typing, I have to do it with my left hand only because I broke the right yesterday.
BR
Strolchi

Logiwonk
January 26th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Out of curiosity, which install options did you use when you installed Ubuntu to start with (e.g. did you give it its own hard drive, did you use the advanced partition editor?)?

Quackers
January 26th, 2011, 09:25 PM
There is an entry for Windows in the grub menu? When you choose that, Ubuntu boots, is that correct?

Strolchi
January 26th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Hello Logiwonk,
I selected:
1. next to another op system
2. boot drive c: with Win XP
3. for all other prim partitions as recommended

There is one thing that should be mentioned. There is a second drive with a mbr on it. Could it be that that drive (mrr) disturbs grub.

Otherwise Win XP was a clean new install, the same for UBUNTU.

BR

Strolchi

Strolchi
January 26th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Hello Quakers,

yes thats correct, its boots UBUNTU.

Strolchi

Strolchi
January 26th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hello Quakers,
you asked me if I ran this grub update routine
sudo update-grub
no I did not, I am a beginner.

What does it do it.

drs305
January 26th, 2011, 09:57 PM
"sudo update-grub" updates the Grub2 menu you see during boot. It runs all the executable scripts in the /etc/grub.d folder. It's actually a 'stub' for "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" but it's easier to just type "update-grub" as root.

When you make changes in /etc/default/grub or to other grub2 configuration files, the actual menu you see (/boot/grub/grub.cfg) is not changed until this command is run.

Sometimes after installing Grub2 it does not see all the other operating systems on the computer. Running the update-grub command will recheck the system for other OS's and usually finds them the second time around.

Strolchi
January 26th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Thank you,
good explanation, although it is a bit high for a beginner. I will try it right now.

Thank you.

Strolchi
January 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Meanwhile we have new day.

I tried the sudo update-grup program and got a new surprise.
At the end when the system askes for a password, it does not accept the entered characters.
What to do now. In all other cases the password work as supposed.

I am logged in as admin.

Thanks in advance

drs305
January 27th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Meanwhile we have new day.

I tried the sudo update-grup program and got a new surprise.
At the end when the system askes for a password, it does not accept the entered characters.
What to do now. In all other cases the password work as supposed.

I am logged in as admin.

Thanks in advance

If you are "logged in as admin" you would not use "sudo". Just run it as "update-grub". Otherwise, as a normal user the password would be your normal user password (which I imagine you already know).

Strolchi
January 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hello drs305,
Im the only reg. user on the system (with admin priviledges). When i tried as you suggestet the answer "is you must run it as root".
And here ends all my knowledge abaut LINUX.
I hope I dont drag too much on your nerves.

Strolchi

presence1960
January 27th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hello drs305,
Im the only reg. user on the system (with admin priviledges). When i tried as you suggestet the answer "is you must run it as root".
And here ends all my knowledge abaut LINUX.
I hope I dont drag too much on your nerves.

Strolchi

We are going around in circles here. We need to see info about your setup and boot process.

Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot into Ubuntu. Come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script. There is a link in my signature.
2. Move the boot info script to the desktop.
3. Open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and run the command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh You can copy/paste this command to terminal

This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

See here (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) for more info on the boot info script.

kansasnoob
January 27th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Do we have multiple threads going here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10402746#post10402746

Elfy
January 27th, 2011, 05:32 PM

Not any longer - that one is now closed.

presence1960
January 27th, 2011, 05:33 PM

The admin forestpiskie closed that thread...lol

Rubi1200
January 27th, 2011, 05:43 PM

For a minute I also suspected there were multiple accounts being created by the same person too.

Now that would have been fun to deal with; multiple grub personality syndrome.

Strolchi
January 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Hello Presence 1960,
sorry, the same thing happens. I am ask to give my password, but char. are not written back.

Next I will try same thing, using the "live cd"

BR
Strolchi

presence1960
January 27th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Hello Presence 1960,
sorry, the same thing happens. I am ask to give my password, but char. are not written back.

Next I will try same thing, using the "live cd"

BR
Strolchi

There are no characters shown when typing password for security purposes. Just type your password and press Enter.