PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] icons for battery, speaker, wireless are not in gnome panel

zehra
January 26th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I have been using Ubuntu without any problem for 2 years. Yesterday, when I booted Ubuntu, its power management is not working at start up: icons for battery, speaker, wireless not there + light icon says "cannot connect to gnome-power-manager".( in the screenshot)

When I go System - Preferences - Power Management (1), it corrects only the light icon.

I could only bring back wireless icon by "nm-applet" after doing (1).But other icons are not there still.

Any help is appreciated..

Frogs Hair
January 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM
This will reset the panel to defaults , but I don't the cause of the problem. Welcome to the forums

gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel && killall gnome-panel

zehra
January 27th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your reply,

I tried the code, still when I booted Ubuntu none of icons and functionalities are available.
But improvement is in battery icon: opening System - Preferences - Power Management brings battery icon back, and corrects brightness functionality.
I still need to call "nm-applet" to use wireless.

Interestingly I also realized that I cannot mount VistaOS anymore. When I click VistaOS from Places menu, it says "Unable to mount VistaOS- Authentication is required".

Can these errors be related?

zehra
January 27th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I suspect that all errors might have happened because Startup Applications are not started somehow, although all are ticked.

I have this thought because
- I copied command under "Volume Control" into terminal and hit return, and volume control applet became visible in gnome desktop panel.
- I run command under "PolicyKit Authentication Agent" in terminal , then a key icon became visible, and now clicking Places- VistaOS triggered asking for password, then opening VistaOS folders, as it should.

However, I have to run all these commands in separate terminals in each startup.
How can I handle this?

Thanks in advance..

zehra
January 27th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I found the solution:

Nevermind, I solved it.

On the login page at the bottom is a panel. On it, somehow the "Safe Mode" choice was selected for desktop environment. I changed it back to the regular Ubuntu choice and it works.