PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on purchasing a computer

unbuntu
April 28th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Hi all,

I'm going to get a new computer this summer, so I've been doing a bit of research lately.

First of all, I don't want to buy big brands, since they all have the Windows licensing built into their prices, and I won't be using Windows that much, so it's kind of wasting money that way.

I'll be mostly running Linux for programming on the new machine, and some intermittent game play on Windows if possible. I've already had a HD (IDE), and a DVD-RW (also a keyboard if that's worth mentioning. :) )

Anyways, how do you guys think of the following system

* Main board: ASUS ASROCK 800FSB
* CPU: INTEL DualCore Pentium 4 2.66GHz
* Memory: 512MB DDR400 PC3200
* Case: ATX 400W
* Integrated Video and Sound
Price: $279 (Canadian)

Is that a good deal?

Also, how's that processor (INTEL P4D 2.66) compared to AMD64 939 3000+? I've noticed that there aren't as many pre-compiled packages for amd64 as there are for x86. Maybe it's not a big deal to compile them myself, but only if amd64 out-performs INTEL by much, otherwise it may not worth the trouble.

Any inputs are welcomed. TIA.

mentallysilent
April 28th, 2006, 11:07 PM
First of all 64 bit AMD processors don't outperform regular x86 ones in regular everyday computing tasks. One area of 64 bit processor's superiority is floating point arithmetic i.e. scientific computation, modeling and simulation etc which I doubt you need to do. However, if you are planning on running data base and web servers the 64 bit AMD processor will shine....For pricing have a look at tigerdirect.ca and compare prices....you might also want to get an Nvidia video card since ATI's support for linux simply stinks...thats all I can think of right now....gl!

NeghVar
April 28th, 2006, 11:51 PM
What is the mobo model your looking at. The price seems resonable but without knowing what kind of onboard videa you are going to get and what other features the board offers its hard to tell. ASRock has never given me any problems, same with Albatron, I'm a fan of the small guys lol.

AMD is a better option IMHO. The debate between Intel and AMD is a long running and complicated issue. Generaly AMD is cheaper, runs cooler, uses power more efficiently and performs tasks more efficiently. Intel just throws brute force at it and hopes that people don't notice their CPUs can boil a 1L pot of water faster than their stove. They use useless terms like Hyper-Threading, which btw does absolutly nothing for performance.

As for outperforming x86, that is a total lie. amd64 outperforms x86 CPUs, on top of that they are the future. More and more things are being written for 64 bit everyday. Within 5-10 years 32 bit won't exist anymore except on peoples machines who run windows xp and phone up the computer shop because when they did an upgrade on their pc the sound no longer works in their dos games... Thos are the only people who will be running 32 bit.

The point about NVidia is so true, I find even in Windows with updated drivers and equal memory/age NVidia destroys ATI.

Also the cost of a Windows license will run around 100-150$ OEM depending on where you go and how well you know the people.

unbuntu
April 29th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Thank you guys for the replies. On their price list it just says ASUS ASROCK 800FSB. However, checking out their website, I think it might be this one:
http://www.pc4canada.com/default/ProductRecord.asp?CMD=VIEW&PCD=MBD&CRN=CAD&XRT=1&PID=103945&QNT=1&UID=0

775I65GV 865GV AGP8X
# LGA775 for Intel P4 processor Intel 865GV chipset
# Supports LGA775 FSB800/533MHz processor, Prescott Ready and H-T Technology
# Support Intel Dual Core Processors*, including Pentium D and Extreme Edition
# Intel 04B/04A processors compatible
# Supports DDR400 and Dual Channel Technology
# Hybrid Booster - ASRock Safe Overclocking Technology
# Int. Intel Extreme Graphics 2, ASRock AGI8X - VGA upgrade interface
# Advanced storage interface SerialATA 1.5Gb/s
# 5.1channel Audio, 10/100 PCI Ethernet LAN
# ASRock I/O Plus: 6 ready-to-use USB2.0 ports
# Worldwide Patent ASRock A.G.P. 8X
# LGA775 CPU Installation Live Demo inside

MasonM
April 29th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I doubt that you could go wrong at that price.

teet
April 29th, 2006, 03:46 AM
It seems to me that you have an awesome processor but the rest of the machine is kind of crappy...what purpose will this machine serve?

The two biggest areas you should address in my opinion is first bumping up to 1 GB of RAM and second picking up a halfway decent NVidia AGP 8X video card (you can get a pretty good one for $50-100 US dollars). That's just me though.

-teet

unbuntu
April 29th, 2006, 04:50 AM
It seems to me that you have an awesome processor but the rest of the machine is kind of crappy...what purpose will this machine serve?

It's taken down directly from a vendor's barebone system package. See it here if you will:
http://www.pc4canada.com/default/BareboneCatalogue.asp?CMD=VIEW&PCD=BBP&SORT=CAT&FRMT=IMG&POL=

The two biggest areas you should address in my opinion is first bumping up to 1 GB of RAM
Yes, if I'm going to go with this one, I'll definitely increase memory to 1G.

and second picking up a halfway decent NVidia AGP 8X video card (you can get a pretty good one for $50-100 US dollars). That's just me though.

-teet

Any specifics come into mind?

unbuntu
April 29th, 2006, 04:52 AM
I doubt that you could go wrong at that price.
:)

jason.b.c
April 29th, 2006, 05:05 AM
AMD is a better option IMHO. The debate between Intel and AMD is a long running and complicated issue. Generaly AMD is cheaper, runs cooler, uses power more efficiently and performs tasks more efficiently. Intel just throws brute force at it and hopes that people don't notice their CPUs can boil a 1L pot of water faster than their stove. They use useless terms like Hyper-Threading, which btw does absolutly nothing for performance.

Also the cost of a Windows license will run around 100-150$ OEM depending on where you go and how well you know the people.

Well it's always been my understanding that AMD's run hotter, not Intel..! And i've been told this several times now by the guys working in my local computer repair stores..;)

I think they would know seeing as they've said that they have seen quite a few older computers with AMD processors come through there stores over time in need of repair .;) In other words-- Burnt UP.!

confused57
April 29th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Don't think you can go wrong at that price. It has AGP upgradeability, in case you have problems with the integrated graphics, definitely go with Nvidia for its Linux support if you need to install a video card. Dual channel memory capability is a plus, 512 mb should be sufficient for starters.

teet
April 29th, 2006, 05:41 AM
It's taken down directly from a vendor's barebone system package. See it here if you will:
http://www.pc4canada.com/default/BareboneCatalogue.asp?CMD=VIEW&PCD=BBP&SORT=CAT&FRMT=IMG&POL=

Yes, if I'm going to go with this one, I'll definitely increase memory to 1G.

Any specifics come into mind?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1776106&Sku=P450-8568&CMP=ILC-FPM03

I bought this card a few weeks ago. It was for my HTPC so I really liked the fact that it didn't have a fan (trying to keep the noise of the computer to a minimum) and it was low profile in case I ever decided to spring for a cool HTPC case plus it had DVI and S-video out. It's even $10 cheaper now than it was when I bought it! D'oh!

I'm not really a gamer or anything, but I do enjoy a good game of NBA LIVE every now and then (the only reason I keep windows around actually). With my 3.06 ghz Celeron D (FSB=533 mhz) and 512 MB of DDR-400 RAM, the game looked great.

The only downside about this card, is I think 128-bit memory is encouraged to take full advantage of all the cool XGL/Compiz stuff. So you might think about spending a bit more and getting a card with 128-bit memory :) Hope this helps!

-teet

Jason_25
April 29th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Well it's always been my understanding that AMD's run hotter, not Intel..! And i've been told this several times now by the guys working in my local computer repair stores..;)

Athlon XP and earlier don't have a thermal protect. Thus, when run by an idiot system builder with unattached/improper cooling they burn up. Have one on my keychain right now. As for the heat issue, when anyone uses broad generalizations like that, they don't know what they're talking about, and you are safe to ignore them.

unbuntu
April 29th, 2006, 06:10 AM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1776106&Sku=P450-8568&CMP=ILC-FPM03

I bought this card a few weeks ago. It was for my HTPC so I really liked the fact that it didn't have a fan (trying to keep the noise of the computer to a minimum) and it was low profile in case I ever decided to spring for a cool HTPC case plus it had DVI and S-video out. It's even $10 cheaper now than it was when I bought it! D'oh!

I'm not really a gamer or anything, but I do enjoy a good game of NBA LIVE every now and then (the only reason I keep windows around actually). With my 3.06 ghz Celeron D (FSB=533 mhz) and 512 MB of DDR-400 RAM, the game looked great.

The only downside about this card, is I think 128-bit memory is encouraged to take full advantage of all the cool XGL/Compiz stuff. So you might think about spending a bit more and getting a card with 128-bit memory :) Hope this helps!

-teet

I've actually read a review on that one before, and thought it was quite nice considering the price for a card with AGP8X and 256MB mem, not to mention it has DVI. I've also looked at PowerColor Radeon 9250 128MB, but I guess people are saying that ATI may not work well under Linux, so...